So, You're Having Roommate Troubles

It’s the age-old story, you and your roomie were best friends all summer. You’d talk about everything. Room plans, who would bring the mini-fridge and who would bring the microwave, how life would be on campus. Both of you were so excited to live with each other. The first couple of days of actually living together on campus were good, great even. Everything was going smoothly. You both were happy and talking to each other about everything. 

As the days turned into weeks, and the weeks turned into months, and classes started to pick up, you start to get more and more irritated with each other. It’s the small things, like your roommate never seeming to do the dishes or take out the garbage. Or that they don’t ever wake up for their alarm at 6 am, so it rings and rings and rings until they FINALLY get up. 

All of these things are completely normal. Trust me, I’ve been there too. My roommate and I didn’t end up working out. He ended up moving out after a month of living together. Having a roommate is a huge step in college. Suddenly having to share your space with another person is stressful, and doesn’t always work out as planned. If I have learned anything from the experience of both having and losing a roommate, it’s that communication is key. 

You two are going to have to share a small space for a whole year, you have to know how to communicate with one another. If there is something important that is going to affect how you live with them, you should tell your roommate. If you don’t communicate with each other, you’ll soon realize that they’re not respecting your boundaries, not out of spite, but simply because you didn’t TELL them. A lack of communication between us was what led to my roommate and I having a falling out that messed up our friendship for good.

Having a roommate can be a great experience, especially when your roommate is a good friend. When you live with someone, it’s important that you know yourself and what makes you tick, as well as how your roommate functions. If you don’t take the time to sit down and talk about boundaries, your experience with your roommate might not be as great as it could be.