photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Life > Experiences

One of Life’s Hardest Lessons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

**Trigger warning**

It took a while to decide whether or not this was an article I could write. I’m sure there are a lot of people who could do this better justice or who were closer to him. While contemplating this on my drive to school I saw two monarch butterflies. Which was a sign for me because when I was young, I was told butterflies can represent passed souls. Therefore, I took it as the okay I needed to go through with this. In respect for his family, friends and loved ones, I will not mention his name. 

The unexpected happened this summer. You never plan to lose a good friend or anyone in your life, especially when they’re so young. He had a plan for the fall and his future. He had more friends than most people. He helped anyone who needed it.  He was a smile that everyone knew that no one would have ever suspected of the struggle behind that smile. 

The last memory was him driving by me in his truck while I was walking into work one early morning. He smiled and waved, I had no idea that would be the last time I would see him, forever. 

That’s one of life’s hardest lessons, you don’t know the last time you’ll see someone. Unfortunately, life throws horrible circumstances in your path. You’ll try in your head to explain or find a reason behind it, but in the end, you won’t ever know the full truth.

With that being said, check on those who’s smile might be huge, but their mind may be broken. Check on your friends and family. Notice those who may be pulling away or sudden changes.

The hardest part is that sometimes you may never know, they might not talk to you about it. They might have a mind that could be a battlefield. Just make everyone in your life know that you’re there, no matter when, time, or situation. 

“You know, it’s nothing new Bad news never had good timing,

Then, circle of your friends  Will defend the silver lining…”  

Heart of Life, by John Mayer

At the end of the day, we are in this together. All of us. No one is alone.  We have each other to lean on and memories to cherish. 

To his family, please know how loved he was, and how generous of a soul he had. The type of generous that cannot be replaced. 

Shelby Cushing is a Junior at Wells College majoring in business and looking into marketing and hospitality. She has a passion for photography and graphic design. You can catch her with her Golden-Doodle Cooper or drinking coffee with her friends in order to survive college.