This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

One of the most stressful things for college students is relationships, especially long-distance. We go to school knowing we can no longer see the person we care most about every day. We do it even though we hear that “long-distance relationships in college don’t last.” “Can we make it work?” is a question you ask yourself almost every day. This week in Girl Talk, we are going to talk about some tips on how to make your relationship work in college – no matter the distance.

Communicate, communicate, communicate!

In long-distance relationships, discussing what is bothering you is by far one of the most important things you need to do. If you miss your partner, tell them. You want them to visit soon? Tell them! Talk to your partner about what you feel, otherwise, your relationship will start to stress you out, and trust issues will begin to form. 

Self-care is KEY.

Make sure you are listening to your needs. Don’t work yourself up about things that don’t affect your relationship. They are busy, too, and want to enjoy their college experience! Take some time for you, light a candle, take a long shower, turn on your cute lights, and do something that relaxes you and takes your mind off of everything!

Don’t listen to other’s past experiences…

I know the first thing you do when you start to worry is to talk to someone who knows how you feel! PLEASE don’t! Everyone’s relationships are different. Write your sorrows down in a letter to yourself, call your mama, or talk to your partner! The last thing you need is someone telling you how college relationships don’t last. 

Make time for them, too!

College is super stressful. It feels like almost every day you have something in your calendar that you need to do. Make sure you are taking time out of your day to pay attention to your partner. You know you have homework after class, study sesh at 6, and hanging with friends at lunch… but what about your boo? Be sure to shoot them a text to remind them you’re thinking about them too!

Remember that your relationship is what YOU make out of it.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Love with every inch of your being and what is meant to be will be.

Let me know if these tips work for you and what you would like to hear from “Girl Talk” this semester! 

xoxo, Carin

Hi! I'm a 19 year old soul and a lover of words. I hope to inspire you to harvest growth, manifest love, and pursue happiness. I love my pupper, farmer's markets, and big cups of coffee. Enjoy! With love, Carin.