This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I will be the first to admit that it is hard to break out of the cocoon. There is typically a bubble that surrounds me to protect myself as I move through the world. However, can you really change, grow, fly or live if you refuse to break away and transition? When it comes to people, I would say that there is not just one metamorphosis. We go through several major transitions and stages of growth as we move through life. Sometimes we get too comfortable and we hide from the world and stay in our cocoons. Or in other words, we rarely go outside of our comfort zones. I know to go outside of it can cause a lot of anxiety, nervousness, and the feeling of being overwhelmed but it doesn’t have to be. Small steps are the way to go when it comes to anything. Everything is a process, from writing a paper to cooking, or getting a job; most things take time. This is a guide to help you make small steps to getting you out of the cocoon and into the world.

ORDERING COFFEE

If you’re like me, you might order the same drink every time you go to your usual coffee spot. I find myself staring at the menu, sifting through choices and I always get the same thing. Try switching up your orders every once in a while. You can start off by doing it once a week, and then maybe two or three times. You could even try out a different coffee shop; it’s important to support local businesses. So maybe instead of going to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks try any other shop near you. Most of the time, they have the same kind of drinks and probably even better quality coffee beans.

SPEAK UP IN CLASS

Being a college student, there are going to be classes you engage in and ones you don’t. However, regardless of the subject, your input is important. I am not asking for you to go on a tangent in the middle of class, but try engaging in at least one conversation or discussion during class. Even if you’re just agreeing with another student, speaking up is important. If public speaking isn’t your thing talk to your professor after class. It’s likely if you explain to them that you are more of a quiet person they will understand. They may try to arrange something so that you can still get credit and be engaged. Even if it’s having a quick conversation with the professor after class about the material is better than nothing.

THE POWER OF THE UNKNOWN

Talking to new people outside of your friend group can be terrifying. However, the more people you know, the more platforms you have to use/help you and networking is essential to college. You don’t need to become friends with everyone you come across. Although, try making small conversations with people around campus. Places, where coffee or food are sold, can be less terrifying because most of the time it’s loud and everyone is doing their own thing. Ask questions, find out each other’s interests, and talk about school. A good point of conversation is school since both parties will most likely be students. It is nice to have support from outsiders, too!

JOIN A CLUB

Clubs are one of the best ways to meet new people and try different things. Since most clubs have several positions, you have options to choose from and you can do what roles may suit you best. If you are more on the quiet side, maybe being in charge of social media accounts would be a good position! This club doesn’t even have to be something you normally do or talk about. There are book clubs, writing clubs, model clubs, baking, political, empowerment, and the list goes on. Join a club you might not have thought about joining before! The others in the club are there to support you and everyone works as a team. You get to bounce ideas off of each other and everyone has a voice even if yours is quiet.

ORDERING FOOD

Like with coffee, people tend to choose the same items on the menu. If you are worried about not liking it, ask the cashier or waitress what the dish is like. Most of the time we know what we like so if the dish includes ingredients you tend to enjoy, you’re probably safe. A dish may seem trivial compared to people, however, these small changes can affect the bigger things in life. If you start expanding your choices in one area another might follow suit.

EVENTS

Sports are not  my thing to participate in, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t enjoy a game. Most campuses host several events in a weekend, so switch up what events you go to and participate in. Instead of going to the basketball game check out a talk or series being presented at your school. Even if you’re not in a specific club check out their events, they can be fun and interesting. There may even be prizes and food!

Hopefully, some of these tips help expand your horizons! Remember transition is okay and just be the best you can be!

doing my work for better days.
Wells Womxn