bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

In January, my friend Sara walked into my room to show me a necklace that said “Go for it” and we laughed about how that should be our phrase for 2019. Little did we know how big of an impact that phrase would have for the rest of the year. 

2019 has been the most influential year of my life (so far). It was a year of new experiences and transformation. The person I was in the beginning of 2019 is not the same person I am today. Winter 2019 started off with new experiences and going out of my comfort zone. To this day, it is one of the most exciting times of my life, because I really just did whatever I wanted to do without letting anxiety getting in the way. A lot of mistakes were made during that time but what came with those mistakes were big life lessons that will stay with me my whole life. 

In the beginning of July, I went through what I would call the biggest transformation of my life. Around my 20th birthday I had a realization that I wasn’t 100% happy with my life. I suddenly realized that the person I currently was wasn’t the person I wanted to continue being. From that moment nothing was the same. I spent the next few months actively working to improve my mindset and started replacing negative thought patterns with positive ones. 

It’s crazy to think how your mindset can affect your whole life and overall well-being. The world is how you perceive it, and once you’re able to take action against negative emotions, then the world is your oyster. We have the power to become amazing individuals and make a ground-breaking impact on society, but to do that we need to recognize our own power and believe that it is possible. Overall, the most important lesson I learned was that people always have the ability to change and become the person they want to be, and I can’t believe it took me 20 years to figure that out. I hope 2020 is even more impactful than 2019 and I can’t wait to find out where my journey takes me.  

CC for Her Campus Waterloo