Listen to Your Grandmother: Hair Care Edition

The elderly are the gatekeepers of knowledge, so let me enlighten you with the wisdom that my Grandmother has passed down to me about hair.

1. Rinse/ wash your hair with cold water.

Washing your hair with cold water isn’t only refreshing, but it helps to close your hair cuticles. Take the last few minutes of your shower to rinse your shampoo and conditioner out with cold water in order to ensure that your hair is shiny, healthy and frizz free when you are ready to style.

2. Don’t put your hair in “tight” buns or ponytails for a long time

When hair is constantly pulled, it can result in breakage and hair loss. Traction alopecia occurs when the hair is repeatedly pulled, so avoid constantly sporting hairstyles that cause the hair to be in a tight and restricted position for a long duration. This will create tension on the hair and can cause hair loss in areas around the hairline and near the temples. Never, ever, and I mean never sleep with your hair in a ponytail, it will not change how wavy or straight your hair is, and will only result in serious, major hair loss. Keep your beautiful hair down and let the wind flow through it. Let your inner Beyoncé out.  

3. Drink yo aqua honey.

H2O, H20, H2O. You heard it here, you heard it everywhere. But I can’t emphasize the importance of hydration. Water is a key ingredient that supports vitamins which help hair growth. Dehydration causes hair growth to stop, and it causes the hair to look dull and the ends to become brittle. Also, when your beautiful roots are hydrated, it eliminates problems like dry scalp which can result in dandruff - totally not cute. You know what is cute? Drinking 2 litres of water and being a beautiful glowing goddess.

4. Look inside your fridge.

I mean, don’t actually stick your head in the fridge, I really don’t know what that would do to your hair. But, the next time you open your fridge for a little snacky, snacky, look for ingredients to make a mask with some strawberries, egg yolks and olive oil to make an awesome, uber moisturizing hair mask, that will make your hair shine to the gods after your wash it out. Leave it in for 10-20 minutes while you go and drink some water. 😉

5. Put that straightener or curling iron away and rock it natural.  

Make it a goal of yours to wear your hair out naturally progressively more and more if you are used to styling your hair every day. Heat causes a lot of damage to the hair, and if you are a curly goddess, it can really affect your natural curl pattern. Put the hair straightener away and fluff up what your mama gave you, easy on the gel.

Photos: 1, 2, 3