This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s almost that dreaded time of the year: exam season. Finals can be stressful since they test your knowledge of the entire semester. However, with the proper approach to studying, you can breeze through your exams and ace them! 

Here are some tips on how to ace a final and get the best out of your studying!

1. Make a study schedule

Being organized and timely is the best way to avoid last-minute cramming, which never helps with studying. By using a planner to outline exactly when and what you want to study, you can ensure that you cover all the required material and stay on top of your game! 

1. Create flashcards

Flashcards are extremely useful when it comes to memorizing content for a final! They’re a quick and easy way of testing yourself, and they’ve proven to be an effective method to get information to stick in your mind. You can make flashcards by hand or use helpful websites like Quizlet or Brainscape.

1. Ask for help

While it may be daunting to ask for help, it can be the best way to improve your studying when preparing for a final. Try reaching out to a TA, or going to your professor’s office hours, to resolve any issues you may come across when preparing for a final. 

1. Sleep

Although sleeping may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of exam preparation, it’s still vital for acing any final. Making sure you get a full night’s sleep (at least 8 hours!) before a final is extremely important, as it improves your memory and ability to focus. To maintain good sleep hygiene, avoid caffeine at night and keep your electronics turned off.

1. Remove any distractions

Studying requires your utmost concentration, so it’s important to remove any unwanted distractions during your study sessions. Specifically, your phone may steal your focus when studying, so make sure to have it shut off or turn on Do Not Disturb mode when you hit the books!

1. Relax

Test anxiety is very common with students, but there are many ways to calm yourself before a big exam. It’s important to take deep breaths, stay hydrated, and remain positive, to make sure your full focus can be on the exam and not your nerves! 

With these tips, you’ll be ready to ace any exam that comes your way. Good luck, and may your studying bring great outcomes!

Hi! I'm Sanjana and I am in my first year of the Accounting and Financial Management program at the University of Waterloo! I love reading, listening to music and cooking.