My New Year's Resolution for Fighting SAD

Having recently moved from Buffalo, New York, I wasn’t worried when people warned me about the gloomy weather in Seattle. How much worse could it be than Buffalo—a city that’s known for its heavy, lake effect snow and long winters?

Well, I should’ve listened to everyone, because the answer is: a lot worse.

What I didn’t realize was that while it is rainy and gloomy in Seattle, the sun also sets very early. Many times these past and current quarters I've walked out of class to be met by nightttime darkness, even though it wasn’t even 5:00 PM.

I’ll be honest—the darkness makes it hard to find the motivation to workout outside, run errands, and go to fun events.But the fact is, you can’t let the weather stop you from doing your day to day activities, otherwise you’ll never get anything done. Seattle gloom is notorious for lingering for months on end, so I wasn't about to waste my entire winter quarter just waiting for winter quarter to be over. 

With the new year come new resolutions, obviously, and so here's one of mine: I will try to go out and do more things outside of class, whether it's joining and going to club meetings, finding events to go to, or just going for a walk or run.

To jump start this, I've already joined the Campus Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO) and got tickets to go see one of my favorite podcasts live, Stuff You Should Know (SYSK)! Hopefully, this is jut the beginning of a busy and eventful quarter.

Although the darkness can be tough to deal with, I have to say that I've come to truly appreciate the few days where the sun peeks through the clouds, even if only for an hour or two.