This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

I’m not sure about y’all, but mentally I am still in May. Surprisingly, I’m nostalgically longing for days of lounging with my cat, quarantine walks, binge-reading, and banana bread. In short, I’m not on my academic A-game and still have that “extended spring break mindset.”

While I’ve made an effort to understand that my self worth is not reflective of my productivity, I’ve also learned that time doesn’t grow on trees, especially in college. From keeping in touch with friends and family to ensuring you don’t run out of clean clothes, it’s necessary for any college gal on the go to run a tight schedule.

For those mornings or afternoons when I just know that I can’t retain any information from my homework or readings but still want to feel accomplished, I’ve leaned on this list of ways to productively procrastinate.

Work up a Sweat

I hate to sound like *that* girl, but nothing can improve your mood more than moving your body! Whether it’s going on a walk to recreate the viral campus TikTok videos, doing a HIIT workout, weightlifting, or stretching with some yoga, any movement will instantly brighten your day. Personally, my suitemates and I have been living for Youtube dance party workouts.

To quote Elle Woods: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.”

Do Your Laundry

My rule of thumb: if it takes me longer than two seconds to remember when I last changed my sheets, I better go do it. Although no one loves the ordeal of changing their sheets and pillowcases, nothing beats the sense of accomplishment and cleanliness I feel when I cross that off my weekly to-do list. Even harder to beat: the feeling of warm, right-out-of-the-dryer sheets and/or sleeping on fresh sheets with newly-shaved legs.

Call your Parents, Siblings, and Friends

As a college freshman, I’ve found it daunting to keep up with my loved ones. When I am feeling down, tired, or just lazy, nothing livens up my mood more than chatting over FaceTime. Especially during these times, check in on your friends!

(Kill two birds with one stone: call someone you love while walking around campus.)

Do a Puzzle or Read for Pleasure

My biggest guilty pleasure in the world is the New York Times Crossword. Without a doubt, Will Shortz and his punny crossword clues have been the most consistent man in my life in 2020. Although the puzzles become increasingly difficult to solve as the week progresses, solving the crossword makes me feel accomplished, gives my brain a break, and a lot of the time brings me comedic relief. I can’t recommend downforacross.com (a website that allows you to do the crossword with a friend) more. Crosswords aren’t your thing? Peruse a magazine, browse Her Campus (wink, wink), or read the book that’s been sitting on your nightstand gathering dust-bunnies.

I hope these tips can make you feel just a little bit better on your laziest of days. 

Eliana is a member of the WashU class of 2024 and coffee enthusiast who will proudly show you pictures of her pets anytime. She tends to overuse the word "y'all" and blames it on her Texas roots.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.