photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

7 Films That Will Actually Blow Your Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Sometimes you’re in the mood for a good comedy, or maybe you’re looking for a romance, but do you ever just crave a mind-blowing film that will make you reconsider your entire life? Yeah, same. Try these out for size:

1. Se7en (​Fincher, 1997): Shoutout to Kevin Spacey for still giving me nightmares even though I haven’t seen this movie in at least five years. This is not one for weak stomachs, but an incredible psychological thriller that follows a serial torturer/killer’s footsteps as he acts on each victim.

Rottentomatoes.com

2. The Game (Fincher, 1995): David Fincher knows his stuff. In this film, Michael Douglas plays an investment banker who participates in a game that is integrated into his everyday life. Soon, blurred lines between his real life and the game reveal signs of a huge conspiracy. 

Cinema-fanatic.com

3. Enter The Void (Noé, 2009): This is not for newbies. I don’t think I talked to anyone for at least two hours after viewing this movie. I watched the English version for a French cinema class (it’s completely filmed in English, not dubbed), and it’s one of the most incredible films I have ever seen. It takes place in Tokyo where we follow Oscar, a heavy drug user. He gets shot near the beginning of the film, but floats above his body and watches the following events. There are numerous flashbacks thrown in as well. The film includes a good amount of nudity and is incredibly intense and emotional, so definitely proceed with caution. Oh, and it’s available on Netflix. Score.

Imdb.com

4. Inception (Nolan, 2010): This is so predictable, but I had to. After writing two academic essays on Inception, I have discovered several new layers that I never noticed after wathing the film the first time. AKA, I know you’ve seen this but watch it again. Trust me.

Collider.com

5. Source Code (Jones, 2011): I know this one is old too, but who doesn’t love a good Jake Gyllenhaal science fiction film with a twist of thrill and romance? This movie blew my mind, but only slightly, so it’s a good one for you amateurs.

Areyoujustwatching.com

6. Unknown (Collet-Serra, 2011): As a Film and Media Studies major, I can almost always predict movie plots. Let me just say, this one tripped me up. I kept thinking I knew what was going on but I really didn’t. I can’t even summarize the plot because I’ll give it all away! Unknown keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

Rottentomatoes.com

7. Donnie Darko (Kelly, 2001): This one’s a classic. Seriously, I think I’ve seen this at least three times and I still have zero clue what’s going on. Feel free to hit me up if you have a solid explanation.

Movieposter.com

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.