Part Time Jobs in Tokyo

Part-time jobs are a crucial element of university life. But what kind of jobs are available to foreigners and returnees in Japan? Although these are just my personal experiences, I would like to give you some insight into the part-time job scene of Tokyo.

Finding a job

The first step to getting a job is to find a right job for you. However, it sometimes takes a lot of work on your part to find a job. A few ways to find jobs are through your school’s office and job-hunting websites such as MyNavi or Baitoru. Some downsides to these methods are that it is quite tedious to go to the office and it’s hard to find reliable job-hunting websites. The most successful ways that I have found jobs that work for me are through recommendation from friends and the Waseda SILS Facebook group. This is exclusive to Waseda SILS students, where alum and current students post job and internship listings. I have found this website to be the most effective way to find good jobs. Another tried and true method of finding jobs for me is through introductions from friends and family. Whether it’s a one-time translating job or a permanent teaching job, it’s always important to be connected with others when you are on the hunt for a job. Or, if you want to cut to the chase and have a job that you are interested in, simply walk in and ask if they are hiring.

Types of jobs available

There are so many jobs available in a large and bustling city like Tokyo. There is an abundance of jobs in retail and food services, but they are often grueling and demand a lot of hours, which is not ideal for students who want to prioritize their studies and play time. In addition, if your Japanese isn’t good then it’s more difficult to work in retail because they expect you to be able to communicate with native Japanese speakers (it is doable). For people who are not too strong in Japanese but are strong in English, there are a lot of jobs available to you! People who are able to work with Japanese and English can work as translators, English teachers, writers, and so much more. If you don’t speak either of these languages, don’t worry. There’s a demand for speakers of many different languages in Tokyo.

Things to be careful of

There are a few things that you need to be wary of before beginning your hunt for a part-time job. First and foremost, always make sure to use common sense before you apply for a job. Make sure that the job you are applying for isn’t sketchy, and they won’t try to overwork you or take advantage of you. In addition, make sure that your work environment is suited for you, and that you are able to communicate with your bosses and your peers. Communication is an essential element of making or breaking your job.

Remember, it’s not necessarily a must to have a part-time job, so only pursue a job when you really want or need one, but hopefully this advice has helped. Happy part-time job hunting!