Ideas for Weekend Plans in Tokyo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

How have you been spending your weekends recently? As an expat or an exchange student in Tokyo, you must have been to all the famous places on the front page of your guide book; and now you are seeking something more… You try asking your local friends for recommendations, but all they suggest are either the popular tourist locations you’ve already visited on your first week in Tokyo, or the newest mall in town. You say thank you to your friends, promising those places will be your weekend plan, but there must be this feeling inside you that these places are not exactly what you are looking for. Then you ask yourself, what is it that one I want?  

I believe every expat has been through this phase. I myself have been an exchange student in a foreign country and experienced this fuzzy feeling before. In case you haven’t figured what exactly you are seeking for, here is a suggestion.

A Quick Travel to the Past in Odaiba

There are quite a few places in Tokyo that have the nostalgic vibe or theme. These places are not so obvious to tourists who only have a few days in town, so I figured it would the perfect place to go after getting settled in. Although these places may not be “authentic”, the experience itself is pretty authentic as it is aimed for Japanese locals.

This time I will introduce attractions in Odaiba with the nostalgic vibe, where you can slip back into time.

Ooedo-Onsen Monogatari(大江戸温泉)

Via link

This is a hot spring located in Odaiba. However, this is not just an ordinary Hot Spring. It is a theme park that will take you back to the Edo period, between 1600 to the mid 1800s. Which means, you will get to experience both the hot spring and the Edo atmosphere. Just like any other hot springs, you will need to check in and change into traditional wear. What happens after that, however, would take your breath away. A summer festival themed courtyard with traditional lanterns and paintings will appear in front of you. This entertainment area is filled with food, games, shows, and shops. Since it is themed as a summer festival, the food served there are mainly festival favorites, so other choices may be a little pricey. Other attractions are tatami areas for napping, and river foot baths, which is an out-doors relaxing space. Prices are higher compared to ordinary hot springs, however it is definitely worth a visit.

Daiba Ichoume Shotengai(台場一丁目商店街)

Via link

This theme park is also located in Odaiba. However, this time, the theme is the 1950s Showa period. The Shoutengai, or shopping street, is composed of small candy stores, game machines, and even a haunted house! In the candy stores, you can buy snacks that are not sold at convenience stores or local grocery stores, and you will also be able to find unique souvenirs. Game machines feature games that were played back then. Many adults visit to get a feel of the good old days. Foreigners can experience the atmosphere of the Showa period for the first time. It is free just to enter, so you can just casually walk around after shopping as it is located inside the shopping complex of Odaiba.

Cover Photo by Kit Junglist on Unsplash