thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

An Introvert’s Guide to Managing FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As an introvert, I frequently find myself battling with the choice of staying in or going out. While I know that I could benefit from a self-care night in my dorm room, FOMO often overpowers my need to recharge, especially when all my friends are going out. 

From someone who needs to take a bit of her own advice: Give yourself grace. It’s okay to stay in for the night. At this point in the semester, exams, papers, and projects are in full swing. College is stressful, and sometimes you just need to take a break. As tempting as that frat party seems, trust me, there will be plenty of other opportunities to go. Resist the peer pressure and take some time for yourself. 

Here are some tips for overcoming FOMO and making the choice to stay in:

1. Set boundaries with friends.

Recognize that it is okay to say no. Don’t feel guilty because you aren’t doing anything wrong! Suggest other times to hang out with your friends when you know you will be recharged.

1. Plan something for yourself to do that you know you’ll enjoy.

Whether it’s watching a comfort movie, baking a new dessert, or doing an in-depth skincare routine, find something that you will find relaxing and just as enticing as a night out.

1. Stay off social media.

Nothing makes FOMO worse than watching Snapchat stories or scrolling through Instagram. Do yourself a favor and just don’t look at any of your social media feeds. If you simply cannot resist, wait until the next morning and then check social media after you have had your alone time.

Caroline King

Wake Forest '25

Caroline King is a freshman at Wake Forest University, originally from Harrisburg, PA. She plans on majoring in Business or Psychology. Caroline is excited to be joining Her Campus this semester!