This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I first entered Virginia Tech as a freshman at a mere 17 years old in 2018. I can’t believe I wasn’t even a legal adult yet. Back then, I was living in the Thrive Living-Learning Community in Pritchard Hall. I hadn’t even picked up the guitar or ukulele or started skateboarding yet. In fact, I never thought I was going to play a musical instrument again after I stopped taking keyboard lessons in middle school. Plus, I never thought I would gain the balance and strength required for cruising on the Drillfield. I had thought for sure that I would major in STEM even though that was not the case.

Now I’m in my fifth and final year of undergrad, about to be the namesake age of Taylor Swift’s song, 22, from Red. Even since turning 21, I’ve studied abroad, performed undergraduate research, completed my third summer internship, and started working part-time for the first time during any school year. I’m also working towards a 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher certification through VT Rec Sports’ new yoga teacher training program. On top of that, I’ve started looking for and applying for full-time jobs after graduation. All in all, this has been a very high-stakes and transformative period of time for me. I’m getting closer and closer to earning a bachelor’s degree. It makes sense why life has felt crazy to me recently and why breaks and self-care are more important than ever.

Although I’m still in college, I feel like a real adult now in a lot of ways, despite living on campus again. I lived off campus my sophomore year, but due to numerous factors, signing another apartment lease was not something I wanted to do again, at least in Blacksburg. So I now live in the Creativity and Innovation District Residence Hall. What’s nice about this hall besides its amenities and events is that the residents come from all kinds of backgrounds and years — you’ll see freshmen to seniors, grad students, and even a professor who serves as the faculty principal. It might sound weird that I’m living in a dorm as a fifth-year senior, but I’ve learned so much from the community. Having all kinds of living and learning experiences — hence the term “living-learning program” — has helped me grow and thrive tremendously.

I went to a friend’s birthday party recently where I saw many people I first met when I was 17, and I hadn’t seen some of them in a couple years. It’s amazing how much time has passed since, but it also makes sense because I feel like a different person now through my various experiences. In a way, it’s almost like my life started at 17 and that I’ve gone through major phases each year since. Seeing these people again made me realize how far I’ve come and how far everyone else has, too.

A piece of advice I would give to those eager to grow up is to cherish each year you do have if you can. Growing up can be super nice in many ways, but it also means more responsibility and decision-making. I’m glad that I’m 22 now, but I also have to say goodbye to being 21. I have plenty of regrets from when I was that age and younger, but I’m really content with where I am and who I’ve become in the process. That’s all that really matters in the end.

Sophia Campana

Virginia Tech '23

Sophia is a Virginia Tech Class of '23 graduate with a major in Professional and Technical Writing. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, attending concerts, reading, doing yoga, playing the guitar, hiking, skateboarding, and traveling.