3 Ways I’ve Found Myself Branching Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With a new school year as a college student comes all kinds of adjustments and new experiences. As a college student, a new school year comes with all kinds of adjustments and experiences. Before coming to college, I lived in multiple houses and traveled regularly, so I am used to the thrill and excitement of different experiences. Regardless, I think that everyone can benefit from exploring because then you can narrow down your interests and know for sure what you like and don’t necessarily like to do. Here are 3 ways I’ve encountered a chance to branch out and learn during college.

Relationships

People sometimes grow at different rates, which means that not every friendship is supposed to last forever. I didn’t think that growing apart from someone was common when I was younger, believing that having a BFF was a given. Now that I’ve gone through a whirlwind of ups and downs in relationships, I’ve realized that it’s okay to move on from people that don’t fit in your life as well as they used to.

Academics

In other instances, branching out can mean changing your goals and plans academically. Not only was I denied my first-choice major when I got accepted into Virginia Tech, I’ve also changed my major 3 times since then. I don’t recommend changing it as many times as I have, but I do recommend considering as many options as possible and talking to an advisor if you’re unsure that you’re taking the right path.

RESIDENCE

Another way one can branch out is by changing where you live at college. I lived in Pritchard Hall during my freshman year, an apartment at Tech Terrace during my sophomore year and now I live in the Creativity and Innovation District Residence Hall. It might seem weird that I decided to live back on campus after living off campus, but after living in this building for a week, I’ve enjoyed my time here so far. The location, amenities and the other residents make living back on campus worth it for me.

Now, I feel like I’m in a position where I feel much more confident about what I’m passionate about and what I care about. I’m no longer afraid to be outspoken about what I want to do with my life and how my experiences have shaped my goals. It helps to remember that changes, especially throughout college, are inevitable, but the essence of who you are never has to change.

Sophia Campana

Virginia Tech '23

Sophia is a Virginia Tech Class of '23 graduate with a major in Professional and Technical Writing. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, attending concerts, reading, doing yoga, playing the guitar, hiking, skateboarding, and traveling.