Halloween Movie Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Halloween is one of those holidays that changes drastically for every person as they grow older. As children, Halloween is all about dressing up in costumes, begging for candy, and carving pumpkins. But once trick or treating starts to lose its appeal, the horror and gore aspect of the holiday begins to play a larger role. However, watching themed movies once the leaves start falling will never grow old. For those wanting to get into the spirit of the holiday, here is a list of Halloween movies for the nostalgic and the horror lovers.

Childhood Classics

1. Halloweentown series (beginning in 1998)

-Back in the golden age of Disney Channel Original Movies, this kid friendly Halloween classic was born. It details 13 year old witch, Marnie Piper, and her journey into the world of wizards, witches, and monsters known as Halloweentown. Each movie in the four part series explores Marnie, her grandmother, and friends defeating evil forces trying to penetrate Halloweentown. Disney airs the movies every October, so there’s always a chance to catch it!

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

-This cult classic follows the return of the Sanderson sisters, 3 witches executed for practicing dark magic in 1693, and their new goal on attaining immortality. Once a candle is lit by new kid, Max, Winifred, Mary and Sarah Sanderson are able to come from the dead to start a new reign of terror. This leaves Max, his little sister Dani, and his friends, Allison and Thakery Binx, to help save the children of Salem. With performances by Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker, this movie will please all ages.

[pagebreak]

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

-Tim Burton’s stop motion musical fantasy film is one that has garnered much critical and public acclaim since it came out in the early 90s. The movie tells the story of Jack Skellington, a creature from Halloween Town, and the consequences that arise after he accidently opens a portal to Christmas Town and decides to celebrate the holiday. This Academy Award nominated movie can normally be found circulating on cable around the holiday season.

1. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

-This Halloween TV special, based off of the Peanuts comic strip is one that is a favorite among the different generations. The 30 minute program follows Linus and the rest of the Peanuts gang on his quest to find the Great Pumpkin. This family friendly carton airs every year on ABC on Halloween.

[pagebreak]

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, and Prisoner of Azkaban (2001, 2002, and 2004)

-Although the Harry Potter movies are not traditionally classified as Halloween movies, the early movies have some beautifully decorated and eventful Halloween scenes. In the earlier movies, the Halloween feast is always shown, including floating jack-o-lanterns, lots of candy and pumpkin flavored foods and drinks. Also, the supernatural world of wizards, witches and other magical creatures will help anyone get in the Halloween spirit.

[pagebreak]

Thrillers and Gory Slashers  

1. Halloween (1978)

-This is the first film in the franchise about homicidal Michael Myers who escapes a mental institution and returns home to stalk and terrorize a teenage girl and her friends. All of the events of the film take place on Halloween. The horror film is credited by critics as the first in a long line of slasher films based off Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. The movie has spawned seven sequels and two remakes.

1. The Amityville Horror (1979)

-This supernatural horror film is based on the 1977 bestselling novel of the same name that details the Lutz family’s experiences after moving into their new home in Amityville, New York. A mass murder had been committed the year before their move, and allegedly caused many of the paranormal activities shown in the horrifying film. The movie has inspired nine sequels and one remake done in 2005.

[pagebreak]

1. Scream (1996)

-Wes Craven’s infamous slasher movie is credited with revitalizing the horror genre in the 1990s with its unique combination of comedy, mystery and violence. The film chronicles high school student, Sidney Prescott, and her friends who become targets of a mysterious killer called “Ghostface.” With appearances from David Arquette, Courtney Cox and Drew Barrymore, this 90s movie does not disappoint.

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

-The notoriously bloody and violent film follows a group of friends who fall victim to a family of cannibals while on their way to visit an old homestead. The movie gave birth to infamous villain, Leatherface, and many sequels and remakes.

[pagebreak]

1. Friday the 13th (1980)

-Along with Halloween, this film is considered to be one of the first true slasher movies. The film deals with a group of teenagers who are murdered one by one while attempting to re-open an abandoned campground. Over the years following, it developed a cult following and eventually has become one of the most profitable slasher films in cinematic history.