This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every time I tell people I’m not going to vote this election, they look at me like I’m crazy. “But this is the most crucial election of all,” is what everyone tells me. “You can’t let Trump win!” “You can’t let Hillary win!” The extreme sides are pulling me in both directions. I consider myself in the middle of being a Republican and a Democrat. I can’t decide on a side. I agree with a lot of Republican views, but I also agree with a lot of Democratic views.

This should be an exciting time for me, considering it’s the first time I’m eligible to vote. However, this is the worst election I’ve ever had the chance to see. Both candidates are horrible. People keep telling me I need to choose the lesser of two evils, but how can I choose when I see them as both evil?

Donald Trump. Where do I even begin? How is this man even allowed to run for president? When I first heard rumors of him running for president, I laughed because I thought it was a joke. Here we are and he’s the actual nominee. I still can’t believe it. He is the most childish man I’ve seen on television, and he shouldn’t be allowed to run because of how indecent and unqualified he is. We have heard about multiple women coming forward and speaking about how Trump sexually harassed them. His wife isn’t really that great either. We all remember the Michelle-Obama-speech-rip-off. Let’s also not forget her spread for GQ magazine. I’m all here for body positivity and everything, but she’s just not a good example for kids. As a Hispanic woman, I can’t get past the fact he’s trying to build a wall to prevent people from becoming citizens of the country to make a better life. He complains about them being here without paying taxes, but he doesn’t either.

Hillary Clinton. I’m all about seeing the first woman to become president. I just don’t think she’s the right woman for it. I like her as a person, but I just don’t think it’s fair that the Clinton family gets to be back in office again. Will Bill secretly be calling the shots? The thoughts can’t help but linger in my mind. Plus, what about those emails? She is just like every dishonest politician out there. Just because she is a presidential candidate doesn’t mean she gets to get away with a crime.

I just really can’t get over the fact that out of the millions of people in this country, we have these two candidates to choose from. There were better options during the primaries, but too bad none of them made it to election day.

I honestly have had times during these pasts months where I’ve been set on voting on each of the candidates. I really was going to choose one. Now, I just can’t choose a side. If I vote for either candidate, that means disappointing my friends, my family and most importantly myself. I know I will probably feel left out seeing everyone else vote, but I know I won’t regret my decision. 

Cover Photo

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!