What It’s Like Being Engaged While in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A little known fact about me– I am actually engaged. People are almost always surprised when they find out I’m in college and engaged. Honestly, I don’t really tell everyone I meet. That’s only because I don’t feel like answering the string of questions that come along with it.

Being in a serious relationship during college has been a great experience overall. Whenever I tell someone that I’m in a relationship, they assume that my college experience is boring. However, it has actually been awesome being engaged and has made my college experience even better.

I have someone who is there for me 100 percent of the time. Whether I need to talk about a horrible test score or vent to someone about my day, my significant other is always there for me. Being in college is such a stressful time and there’s hardly time to catch up with people. My roommates are always too busy to hang out, and my friends and family live too far. That is why it’s awesome to have my fiance to always talk to. If there’s no one who wants to hear my terrible jokes and about what new restaurants I want to try — there’s him.

On the other side of the spectrum, one of the best parts about our relationship is that we both understand that the college experience is equally as important to each of us. We are totally okay with each other going out to a party or hanging out with friends. Having some space and allowing us to have a normal life is important. Without understanding and compromising, a relationship cannot work. Being honest about what we’re doing is what keeps us strong. 

Knowing that my significant other is serious about me makes me feel better about being long-distance. Long-distance relationships are not easy at all. Saying they are simple would be lying. There are days when the distance gets to us, but we do the best we can to communicate on a daily basis. FaceTime, iMessage and phone calls are essential to maintaining the relationship. It’s no joke when people say communication is key. I get super annoyed when I feel like we haven’t talked enough, but I feel that’s normal in a long-distance relationship. Texting just isn’t enough sometimes. The distance is the hardest thing out of the relationship and makes me question everything at times. Knowing I have a future to look forward to with my fiance, though, changes everything.

My fiance and I have been together for almost four years. We met when we were sophomores in high school, and we were only friends at the beginning. Throughout the years we became really close and eventually were best friends. I had never seen him any other way, but for some reason by the time our senior year rolled around I saw him differently. He looked really manly and grown, I couldn’t help but notice him in a new way. I always knew we could be compatible, but I never thought we would actually make it this far. So many people would tell us we were the perfect match, but I didn’t realize it until later. I’m glad I did though, because being able to grow with him and focus on our lives has been great so far. Being best friends first set the foundation to an awesome relationship. We understand each other, we are there for each other and we can feel secure. We know each other so well after all this time, it’s like we’re already married.

Instead of thinking of it as being tied down, I feel like being engaged young has been a great experience. It’s something that I embrace and that I’m not ashamed of. It has saved me from possibly making mistakes I could regret, and has made me memories I won’t forget. Being able to have someone this young is such a blessing in my life. We have insiders, are super comfortable with each other and can be honest. It’s everything I have always wanted in a relationship and I have never had anything healthier or more honest. We can already start looking forward and making plans for the next step in our lives — marriage. Nothing makes me happier than being able to watch each other progress, grow and grind for our future together.

Photo Credit

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!