What Guys Really Want for Valentine’s Day: Uncovered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When it comes to us ladies, Valentine’s Day couldn’t be less of a perplexity. We know what we want, and so do men — the evidence is all over our Pinterest, after all. Synonymous with chocolate, flowers, jewelry and teddy bears, Valentine’s Day has become the one time of the year that men actually do have us figured out — they’ve been doing this for years. For us collegiettes, Valentine’s Day is a slightly tougher battle. While us ladies are pretty vocal with what we want, when it comes to doing something special for the men in our lives — we’re at a loss. To uncover what men really want for Valentine’s Day, I interviewed some VCU collegents and got to the root of what your significant other really wants for Valentine’s Day.

Alex Bannan, junior Craft major

Ideal Date: My ideal Valentine’s date would be something simple, like a nice dinner out or a home cooked meal that we share both in the enjoying and in the cooking. Material presents are not something that I think is necessary for Valentine’s Day, but I more enjoy romance and adoration on that day.

Ideal Gift: My ideal gift to receive would probably not be something material but more along the lines of spending time together and some romantic affection.

Jeremiah Taylor, senior Criminal Justice/Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness major

Ideal Date: Just waking up next to your significant other, and when you finally get out of bed — make breakfast together. We could spend the whole day together doing whatever she wants to do. I’ll make sure I stop by Pearl’s Cupcakery to pick up a dozen of cupcakes which I have done every year. Then we go out to dinner to her favorite restaurant. We’ll come home and spend the rest of the night together.

Ideal Gift: I don’t really care about receiving anything, I just really like giving gifts and sharing yourself with our partner mind and body. Seeing her smile and the way she looks at me is enough to know that she loves me.

Will Goodwin, junior Entrepreneurship major

Ideal Date: Personally, my ideal date would be something beyond the evening dinner norm. I’d like to be taken for a Valentine’s Day hike somewhere I’ve never been before.

Ideal Gift: As far as gifts go I’d be happy with about anything. I think cool dates are better than gifts but I also think something like a trip or a gift card for a real masseuse would be cool cause I’ve never been, plus if I got taken hiking first it’s a great follow-up gift in case I’m sore.

Joe Mason, sophomore Criminal Justice major

Ideal Date: My ideal Valentine’s date is pretty simple, a nice dinner at a nice place, and follow it with something my date would enjoy, maybe a movie. I just want to be able to take my date to a fancy restaurant that makes her feel special.  

Ideal Gift: I don’t really have an ideal gift, I usually just try to spoil my date with flowers and chocolate. If I did receive anything, I just want something that is thoughtful. Maybe something that I’ve talked about for a while or just a small gift that was made by them. Valentine’s Day is about making your date feel special, and you can do that with or without gifts.

Neil De Abreu, junior Criminal Justice major

Ideal Date: I just want to eat dessert and chill while watching a movie with her that night.

Ideal Gift: I don’t need any extravagant gifts but some sportswear would be nice.

Theo Malamatos, freshman Biology major

Ideal Date: I’d like to go get Chinese food with my girlfriend and relax on the beach at night, watching the stars.

Ideal Gift: Just to be with my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day.

Bryce McDaniels, junior Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering major

Ideal Date: My vision of an ideal Valentine’s Day doesn’t necessarily have to be a grand gesture; it could be something as simple as having tech shut down for a while and just spending quality time with one another.

Ideal Gift: Honestly, I don’t have one. I think just spending the day together would be enough.

Conclusion?

(Valentine’s Day is a trap, ladies. Men will never tell us what they want, and it is a test of how well we know them — like when a good friend tells you their password to their phone is their birthday.)

In reality, it seems like the men in our life are content with just about anything on Valentine’s Day, as long as it is meaningful. To ace Valentine’s Day this year, like any other holiday, you should know what is near and dear to your significant other and be creative with ways to make him feel as special as these guys want to make their girlfriends feel on Valentine’s Day. So plan away, collegiettes; make this one a Valentine’s Day he’ll never forget!

Hannah is a Public Relations graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University with an affinity for blogging, food, culture and learning about the world. She has a serious case of wanderlust and hopes to one day work for a lifestyle and PR firm, as well as publish books and documentaries focusing on leisure and travel. To read more of her work, check out her own personal blog at www.thinkingbrave.com or her personal portfolio at clippings.me/hannahkhan
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!