HC VCU team
HC VCU team
Chelsea Schmidt
Life > Experiences

What Being President of Her Campus at VCU Means To Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When I joined Her Campus at VCU in the fall semester of my sophomore year, I had no expectations. My best friend had joined the semester before and told me she thought I would love this organization and that I should joinーso I did. I think almost every new member comes into their first semester bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for what’s to come and how they can contribute to the chapter.

For me, I had huge ideas that were rarely ever attainable especially with a small budget. This quickly became my role: having big ideas, then finding ways to make them work for us. This is how I discovered my passion and found my place on campus. Exactly one year later, the Vice President/Events Director position opened up. I quickly decided that this was something I wanted to go for and it was time for me to step up and take on more responsibility in an organization that I had come to love.

To my surprise, my application was chosen and I became the Vice President of HCVCU in the spring of my junior year. Then I suddenly realized that I would only hold this position for one semester before I would step into the role of the President of Her Campus at VCU. I had never thought of myself as the person who would hold this position, but there is nothing that I would change about my journey.

Being the President of Her Campus at VCU has been one of the greatest and most rewarding achievements of my life. I have been able to spread our message of empowering women and connecting with other organizations with that same goal here at VCU. I have been able to fundraise for causes that matter to me. And most of all, I have been able to connect with other wonderful women here at VCU who love to do those same things.

HC VCU PR Exec team
Chelsea Schmidt

Left to right: Peyton Nugent, Kyiala Schellmann, Danielle Angell, Taylor Mickel

Being the President of Her Campus at VCU has been indescribably invaluable to me. I will forever be grateful for the connections that I have made and I will always be proud of the work that I have done. This being my last semester before graduation, I am now super excited that someone else gets to take on this role and have a similar experience. I couldn’t have accomplished anything that I have so far at my time in college if it weren’t for the incredible women who make up our Her Campus Chapter.

I never knew that finding my place on campus (and in this community) would have been so rewarding and it is something that I will cherish for a lifetime. One thing that I would like to leave with all of our current members and future members is to not underestimate the power that this organization has. Use your connections with these strong women and advertise the skills that you have discovered during your time as a member to your advantage. Lastly, I would like to say thank you to all of my fellow members who helped me find my place as well as pushed me to be the best version of myself.

HCXO,

Danielle  

Danielle is Her Campus at VCU's President and a Senior at VCU double majoring in Political Science and Philosophy of Law. She enjoys spending time with her dog outside and quality time with friends. She is also always down to order a charcuterie board for the table. She aspires to work at a law firm one day either as a lawyer or a marketing consultant, stay tuned to see!