This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We’ve all wondered at some point, what is the appropriate Valentines day gift for someone we have just started dating or even just started speaking to? Depending on the length of your relationship, you may want to reevaluate your gifts or how you are planning to set your Valentine’s day event up. To all my people who are getting into new relationships, or perhaps even your very first relationship, allow me to make choosing these things a little easier for you.

First and foremost, Valentine’s day is supposed to be a day about love, so don’t stress too much about what you’re going to do because at the end of the day (I’m hoping) your significant other is still going to love you the day after unless you screw this day up. But, you won’t because you have me, so let’s just get into it. 

Relationships that have developed for several months are at an advantage when it comes to any holiday the couple shares because they know each other so well. So what do you get the person you’ve only been dating for a month? First and foremost, has the topic of Valentine’s day been brought up at all? If it has, this is going to be easier, but what if neither one of you have spoken about it to each other at all? In that case, if you’re shy and aren’t comfortable to bring it up just yet, I would say whatever gift you decide on, place it in the closet or somewhere hidden and see what ends up happening throughout the night. If the other partner brings you a gift, you can gift them with one as well. If they don’t, and you feel like not giving them said gift, keep it. Take it as a self-love Valentines gift if you want, but don’t hate your partner for not physically giving you something. An object shouldn’t dictate how you feel about a person; it really should be about the fact they thought about you and decided to bring over a box of chocolates or even sat down to write you a letter (or whatever they do for you).

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

In terms of what gift to give, because you don’t really know that person just yet, some treats or flowers or any cliche valentines themed anything would work. In general, for relationships that have only just started, keep it simple and fairly sweet. Don’t scare or intimidate your new partner because you’re still early in the relationship. You don’t want them to run, do you? You don’t have to go over the top and reserve a seat at the fanciest, most expensive restaurant you could find on Yelp just because that’s how Valentine’s day has been sold to you. A nice romantic set up at home with candles and some food you’ve made (or ordered, for all my non-cookers) could go a long way. New relationships are all about getting to know each other more and what better way to do that than in a space that holds no expectations or pressures from the outside world. And when you’re done, your room is right next door! 

All in all, your significant other has taken the time to spend this most cliche, sweetest day with you. Make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them and even if you haven’t said I love you yet, let them know that you are grateful to have them in your life today and for the foreseeable future. Valentine’s day doesn’t have to be a make or break day when it comes to relationships, but this is all assuming (and hoping) you amazing readers are with equally amazing people.

Niya Ahmed is currently in junior year of college at VCU and hopes to graduate with a bachelors degree in English and a minor in creative writing, at least for now. She is a advocate of furthering her education as well as the education of her peers. She enjoys all things media such as movies, social media apps and music. On any given day you can find her with her headphones in or a book in her hand. Niya has been writing for all her life although it is recently she has began to publish publicly. To find more of Niya follow her Instagram: niyaahmed22 or on Twitter: niya_ahmed18