A Thank You Letter to Even-Tempered People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To the cool, calm and collected people of the world,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

People don’t take nearly enough time to give you the credit you deserve. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but the world is filled with emotionally volatile people. So, for people like myself who avoid confrontation at all costs, you are an absolute blessing.

You are the best people to spend time with because I trust that I can be myself around you, without worrying about how you might react. Not only that, but when we are in public together, I know that you will act cool as a cucumber no matter what we encounter and not become worked up about small issues. Sometimes, when I hang out with quick-tempered people, I feel like I am walking on eggshells and playing an intense waiting game for something to set them off. So. Stressful.

In my experience, it seems like the majority of you even-tempered folks are also incredibly empathic. You can really read a room or a person, and instantly know the best practices for keeping everyone happy. You would probably make an amazing elementary school teacher. I can see it now; you, empath extraordinaire, wrangling 20-some emotional toddlers like it’s no big deal. Not all heroes wear capes.

What I really want to know, though, is how you do it. How do you not let the most stressful parts of society affect you? How do you remain kind, courteous and respectful in the presence of rudeness, hate or disrespect? I believe that society as a whole, can learn a lot from you. If more people like you served in positions of power, we might experience fewer wars, controversies and arguments. We might actually get things done in a mature fashion, rather than the way many politicians and so called “influential” people handle everyday life.

Want to know a secret? Sometimes I sit back and look at the world, then I look at you and it makes me sad. I know that you can make a difference, but I worry that you will break in the process. I pray that your spark – that glorious, infectious “everything is okay” attitude – will not be squashed under the leadership of those who don’t take time to think before they speak or act. I don’t want that to happen. But, at the same time, I don’t want to live in a world where people like you have no say. If you feel similarly, it’s up to you to choose whether it’s a worthwhile gamble.

Regardless of all that, thank you. On a smaller scale, even-tempered people like you convince me (and others) that the majority of stressful situations ultimately do not need to be stressful. Quite on the contrary, if someone like you steps in, stress may actually turn into contentment or happiness. That is an amazing gift to give the world.

So, from the barista who did not mean to make your drink wrong, thank you for not getting mad. From the driver you let merge in front of you, thank you for putting your own agenda aside to give me room on the busy roadway. From the understaffed restaurant workers who are trying their best to seat you in a timely manner, thank you for not pacing.

From people everywhere trying to get through the stresses of life, thank you.

Photo credits: Cover image, 1, 2, 3

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!