This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Caitlin Murnane

Age: 18

Year: Freshman

Major: Social Work

How many tattoos do you have? 8

How old were you when you got your first tattoo? 16

Tattoo #1: Braille

Where is it? Wrist

Where did you get it done? Great Southern in Alexandria

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? It says sister in brail. I got it with my sister.

Tattoo #2: Sunflower

Where is it? Forearm

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? When my sister passed, her favorite flower was a sunflower. I really like the quote “with brave wings she flies.”

Tattoo #3: Semi colon

Where is it? finger

Where did you get it done? Rick’s tattoos in Alexandria

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? I got it with my sister. The semi colon stands for suicide awareness.

Tattoo #4: Turtle

Where is it? Forearm

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? I got it for my Aunt Joy because she was oddly obsessed with turtles. She lived in TopSail Island in NC. I went there one time and there were turtles on the street.

Tattoo #5: Lightning bolt

Where is it? Ankle

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? I got it with my friend. It symbolizes a strong bond between two strong women.

Tattoo #6: Wrap around Vine

Where is it? Forearm

Where did you get it done? Red Octopus in Waldorf Maryland

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? There’s not really any significance, I just knew I wanted a half sleeve and I had to have something to bring it all together.

Tattoo #7: “I love you”

Where is it? Shoulder

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? It’s in my dads handwriting and I got it the same day I got the vine, mainly so they wouldn’t be mad at me.

Tattoo #8: Pansy

Where is it? Forearm

Where did you get it done? Absolute Art in Richmond

Is there a story behind it or a particular reason you got it? I like flower tattoos. Its for my mom and grandma because they really like pansies.

Which is your favorite? Probably the sunflower one

Which tattoo hurt the most? The one on my shoulder. The worst part about getting a tattoo is the way you have to position yourself to get them done.

VCU Contributor Account