President of Vietnamese Student Association (VSA), Theresa Tran!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name:
Theresa Tran

Year:
Junior

Major:
Liberal Studies for Early Education

Ethnicity:
I am Vietnamese. 

Favorite
Movie:
Pride & Prejudice (my favorite book too!). I love me some Mr. Darcy!

Food:
Italian

Quote:
“Love more, worry less”

Why did you choose your major?
I chose Early Education because I love children and teaching!

Who are your inspirations and why?
My mother. She is my rock. Whenever I’m down or not feeling myself, she knows exactly when and what to say to make me feel better.

During your college experience, what organizations have you been involved with?
I’ve been involved with VSA and FACT!

Why did you join VSA and what lead you to run for President?
The reason why I joined VSA my first year was because of my sister, who is a VSA alum. She was secretary and she told me how fun it was so it made me want to join when I came to VCU! I decided to run for President last year because I wanted Vietnamese traditions to stay alive so that younger generations know what VSA was like for me.

As President of a cultural organization, what are some interesting ways you keep Vietnamese culture alive at VCU?
Of course we have our annual culture show that is happening this semester. Throughout the year we educate our members with small information about our culture, such as the Lunar New Year.

Are there any misconceptions about Vietnam and its people that you would like to clear up?
We are not all nail techs! I wish I could do nails.

What are some aspects of your culture–dishes, movies, music, etc.–that you recommend people check out?
Everyone must go to Pho So 1, best pho in town!

Do you have any favorite memories in VSA? What are they?
My freshman year when Michael Ngo, the President at that time, recruited me to become more involved by being an intern. That’s how it all started. Thanks Michael!

Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years? 
Hmm, in 10 years I’ll be 30. I hope to be an elementary school teacher with a hubby and kids!

Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo