An Open Letter to My Foundation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To my foundation,

I remember the day I first met you. I walked into my local Sephora and there you were. You stood out in the crowd. Everyone had been telling me how great you were, and I knew I needed to have you. The first time we went out together, people complimented us, saying how good we looked together. I was addicted to the way you made me feel. I felt flawless when we were together.

I’m so grateful to you. You helped me get my confidence back. You transformed me from a girl that was self-conscious about the way she looked to a confident woman who knew how great she truly was. But because of that, I have to tell you– I don’t need you.

Don’t get me wrong, I still want us to go out together for special events and other adventures, but I have to let you know that I can’t be dependent on you anymore.

When we were first together, I found myself not being able to go anywhere without you. If you weren’t with me, I couldn’t let anyone see me. I thought I was nothing without you. Without you, people could see all of my imperfections. With you, those imperfections were gone. I finally felt good about myself.

I started noticing that when I was with you, I stood a little taller and I smiled a little brighter. I was so happy with you and I wanted to feel like that all the time. One day, after you were gone for the night, I stared at myself in the mirror. There was a pimple here and hyperpigmentation there, but it was me. So I smiled.

I went behind your back and did that a couple of nights feeling guilty, but eventually the smiles came more easily. I saw myself for who I really was without you and I was happy. I’ve learned to love myself with and without you.

I have imperfections, but that’s what makes me who I am. I love my imperfections when you’re not there just as much as I love dressing you up with a smokey eye and bright red lips. I’ve seen who I am without you and I love that person. I love who you are and everything you’ve done for me, but at the end of the day I wash you all off. You can’t be with me 24-hours of the day.

So foundation, this is far from a breakup. I love you, but I can’t and won’t let myself depend on you anymore.

Until the next adventure,

Xoxo, Katlyn

Katlyn Pierre is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is working for a degree in public relations. She has recently become a Publicist for Her Campus VCU in January of this year. Her aspirations include, but are not limited to, becoming the Olivia Pope of the cosmetics industry. She is fascinated by the millions of makeup trends on Youtube, PR disasters and Shonda Rhimes. When Katlyn decides to be a hermit on one of her days off, you can find her singing along to Moulin Rouge!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!