New Broadway Musicals That You Should be Paying Attention to

With the Tony Awards quickly approaching and nominations secured, let’s take a moment to look at and celebrate the 2018-2019 season of musicals that will be celebrated on Broadway’s biggest night.

This season is packed to the brim with musicals of different genres and moods for audience members of all backgrounds and ages. From revivals of golden age musicals such as “Oklahoma!” to new stories such as “Hadestown,” theatre lovers can experience something new every night. Each show brings something new and unprecedented to the table and this season is definitely special, arguably shaping the future of musical theatre forever.

Here is a collection of all of the new musicals you should be paying attention to: (revivals and closed musicals excluded)

1. “Gettin’ the Band Back Together”

This musical creates a new story, one that follows a middle-aged man that attempts to get his high school band back together to compete in a Battle of the Bands competition.

2. “Beetlejuice”

Sound familiar? This musical is based on Tim Burton’s 1998 cult classic favorite film of the same name. While you won’t see Michael Keaton or Winona Ryder up on stage, you will see some of the most iconic movie moments recreated.

3. “Pretty Woman: The Musical”

While Julia Roberts is immortalized on the movie screens for her role in the “Pretty Woman” film, Samantha Barks steps into big shoes and immortalizes the role on the stage. “Pretty Woman: The Musical” follows the well-known story of the prostitute and businessman that fall in love.

4. “Tootsie”

“Tootsie” is the must-see comedy of the season, and follows an out-of-work actor desperate enough to reinvent himself as an up and coming actress in order to land a role.

5. “King Kong”

Another example of a film adaptation, “King Kong” reimagines the infamous story of the giant ape.

6. “Hadestown”

If you are a fan of mythology, this is the musical for you. “Hadestown” is a folk retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. This musical has earned the stamp approval of fans and is quickly becoming a fan-favorite of the season.

7. “The Prom”

You may have caught a glimpse of this one at “The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade,” where the cast performed for a live TV audience. “The Prom” follows the story of a small town PTA trying to stop a lesbian student from bringing her girlfriend to prom. “The Prom” celebrates diversity and inclusiveness.

8. “Ain't Too Proud to Beg—The Life and Times of the Temptations”  

My girl! The famous group, The Temptations, their path to success and of course, their music is represented on stage in this new musical.

9. “The Cher Show”

Fans of Cher, rejoice! “The Cher Show” is a musical following Cher’s journey to fame and fortune. Starring three different actresses playing Cher at different points in her life, “The Cher Show” is certainly a spectacle and lives up to her legacy.

10. "Be More Chill”

“Be More Chill” has migrated from off-Broadway to Broadway stages after gaining a huge following worldwide. A cult classic in the making, “Be More Chill” is “a coming-of-age tale with a twist of Sci-Fi fantasy and dash of good old musical comedy.”

Photo Credit: Matthew Murphy, Helen Maybanks