Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Lizzo and Harry: The Celebrity Friendship We Didn’t Know We Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When the internet needed them most, they appeared. I’ll be the first to admit that I get a little bit too invested in celebrities’ lives. My fascination with the rich and famous has been a slow-burning personality trait ever since I got my first phone. In a way, it’s an escape from everyday life. That’s why, when the pandemic puts us all inside staring at the screen all day, I dove even deeper into my obsession. 

A pair that really stood out to me was none other than Harry Styles and Lizzo. One of the most unlikely friendships to come out of 2020 made huge waves right before the pandemic hit. It all started when Harry performed Lizzo’s hot song “Juice” at the BBC Radio Live Lounge. What most likely started off as a playful cover of a great song quickly turned into the friendship none of us knew we needed. The pair have performed together a few times, and each time, it radiates the utmost positivity and light. 

The aspect of their friendship that shines the brightest to me is how unapologetically themselves each of them is. Lizzo has made such an impact on not only the music industry but the fashion and social media communities as well.

Her positive view on life is something that is so very much needed, especially this year. Being a “Fat Black woman,” her body positivity and raw outlook on herself provide instant comfort for women and men who look and feel like she does. Recently, she’s joined TikTok, where she has been posting all about her veganism and healthy lifestyle—all the while living her life to the fullest. 

Harry styles
Harry Styles / Giphy

Harry Styles has been in the limelight for years and years, but more recently, he has been embracing his sexuality and style. Becoming the first man on the cover of Vogue and doing it in a dress was something that turned heads left and right. His journey to self-acceptance has been such a rewarding thing to watch after being a fan for so many years. 

The two of them together represent much more than just a couple of celebrities taking a few photos together. Both of them embody the spirit of self-acceptance and finding yourself through difficult times. Their lighthearted banter is something unique among celebrities these days; the two of them clearly bring something out of each other, and it’s felt through the screen by their fans.

This past month, Lizzo took to TikTok to let fans know that she and Harry hung out just a few days before the Grammys. The singer raved about their friendship, and it was really nice to see them interact safely that night as well. The fascination I have with these two, to others, may seem strange, but I think it’s more than what meets the eye.

Their friendship makes me feel like I am also friends with them, like I could call them up and have a conversation about my day. The positivity that the two of them separately bring to young people in today’s online environment just doubles when they’re together, and it’s a great escape from the mundane every now and then. 

Grace Barratt is an outdoor enthusiast and has a passion for everything creative. She is double majoring in Creative and Strategic Advertising at VCU. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing and camping.
VCU Contributor Account