A Letter to Those Who Didn’t Make it This Far in my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s now safe for us to admit that it wasn’t meant to be. Obviously, because if it was I wouldn’t be writing this to you. Our endless passive aggressive arguments, backstabs and mixed feelings towards each other are finally behind us; we are free from the unhealthy vortex our relationship was. A while ago I hated you; every time your name would come up my blood would boil and my heart would race. I had so much anger for you, but now, I’ve come to appreciate you. Let me explain.

Remember the times you thought you were better than me? You acted like I was the parasite and you were my host, like you did me some kind of favor by being my friend.  You should know that it’s because of you that I know who my real friends are. You showed me what not to look for in a friend and companion, and that’s helped me a lot in life. So, thank you.

Remember when you told me I wasn’t good enough and I had my hopes up too high? Shooting me down somehow brought you joy; removing the smile from my face put a smile on yours. What you don’t know is that every time you pushed me down, I stood up a little bit faster. You became the person I couldn’t let win, and had to prove wrong. You motivated me to improve and achieve my goals. So, thank you.

Remember when you stabbed me in the back as soon as I turned around?  I won’t be a hypocrite and say that I never gossiped or went behind someone’s back, because I definitely did, but not when it was a friend.  I didn’t do it to someone I introduced as “practically my sister” or to someone my parents thought of as a daughter; you did.  Because of this you taught me to not trust easily and to make people earn their place in my life. I avoided a lot of people like you because of this. So, thank you. 

There’s one more thing you should know; I’m not upset anymore. Losing someone is always difficult, and if I have to be honest, I never wanted to let you go. It had to be done. You’re doing well too now and I am happy for you.  All we see of each other is on social media, and it’s for the best. I’m glad we both grew, even if we had to be apart for that. 

The many possible reasons for why you aren’t a part of my life make it difficult for me to forget you, but in many ways that’s good.  Our bittersweet memories and relationship have helped me in ways I didn’t realize until I let all the grudges go.  So, thank you for being a part of my life at one point.

Best Wishes,

A Former Friend

Amritha Nair is a double major in Psychology and Business Management at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is a member of many organizations on campus including greek life and numerous philanthropic organizations. Her writing has always been an outlet for her; her favorite pieces to write are short stories and poems that usually reflect personal experience or are inspired by other works of art. Other than writing, Amritha loves to swim, shop online, read, and binge watch shows on Netflix. Her heart lies with her family, close friends, and ice cream. You can follow her on twitter and Instagram at amrithanair16!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!