This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear childhood dog,

I just want to thank you for being there for me since such a very young age. You have been there for me through everything – way more than most of my friends in my life, and that’s insane to think about. That’s simply something I can’t thank you enough for.

I mean, just think about it – you have watched me grow old. You were there when I was leaving for school in the mornings, headed to the bus stop while in elementary school and you were with me all of those years leading up to my high school graduation. You’ve seen me come back and forth, visiting home on random weekends and long college breaks when I get to stay for longer periods.

When I’m away, I live for the Snapchats and pictures I get sent to me from mom and dad. What makes my heart happy throughout these times is the excited greeting I get upon walking in the door, followed by the same love and affection I get. The barking is infectious and the noise is something that I once complained about, but now I love to hear.

I often think about how now that I’ve aged, you obviously have, too. It is hard to see you slowing down whenever I do get the chance come home. I find myself wanting and expecting that same fresh puppy energy I wish you never had to lose. I then have to remind myself that life happens and all of this growing old stuff is supposed to occur. Even with knowing that, it hurts my heart having to envision my life without you one day. It’s been so amazing to see you grow and still be the light of the house and, if we’re being honest, you’re probably the favorite child. But, lets not focus on the negative, especially while you’re still here with me! While you’re here on Earth with me, I think it’s important to acknowledge the comfort you’ve constantly given. So, let’s keep talking about all of things you’ve seen and done for me. Thank you for being such a great judge of character. Even the sweetest of animals can sense when people are not good for you, and your reaction is always appreciated. You have also comforted me on some the saddest of days.

You have met everyone important in my life: extended family, best friends, previous boyfriends. That’s huge! You’ve truly seen it all. You have been there every move our family has made and been that constant companion that helped me when I did not know what to do. Just know, that no matter what happens in our future, no animal can ever replace you. You’re truly one of kind.

Much love!

Body image taken by author Aja Moore

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!