This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

1. Seeing the boy you like with the girl you don’t like. This happens to the best of us, but Taylor reminds us that it’s cool to be un-cool. Eventually he’ll come running to you!

The lyrics to get you through it: “Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find that what you’re looking for has been here the whole time.” –You Belong With Me

2. Your first high school “boyfriend.” The first boy to ever pay serious attention to you, wrote you love notes in class and had the balls to call your home phone and ask your parents to speak with you stole your heart! He has a special place in your heart for loving you through the awkward middle school phases, but Taylor let us know that there would be many boys after him.

The lyrics to get you through it: “When you’re fifteen and somebody tells you they love you you’re gonna believe them. When you’re fifteen and your first kiss makes your head spin, but in your life you’ll do greater than dating the boy on the football team. I didn’t know it at fifteen.” –Fifteen

3. Deleting pictures of your ex from your phone. When you finally get to the point in the break up where you’re no longer sad and now you’re spewing with rage, you can’t hit delete fast enough. Taylor helped us embrace our inner crazy.

The lyrics to get you through it: “So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time, as far as I’m concerned you’re just another picture to burn.” –Picture to Burn

4. Dealing with the mean girl. Sometimes going to school felt like being in a real life scene from Mean Girls. Like Taylor says, those mean girls don’t get very far in life, so kill them with kindness. You don’t need anyone to bring you down.

The lyrics to get you through it: “Someday I’ll be living in a big old city and all you’re ever gonna be is mean. Someday I’ll be big enough so you can’t hit me and all you’re every gonna be is mean.” –Mean

5The boy who cheated on you. Just like your first real boyfriend, you’ll never forget the boy who cheated on you. You’ll always ask yourself “why?”

The lyrics to get you through it: “I should’ve been there in the back of your mind. I shouldn’t be asking myself why. You shouldn’t be begging for forgiveness at my feet. You should’ve said ‘no’, baby, and you might still have me”’ –Should’ve Said No

6. Going to college. Everyone dreams of finally being away from your parents, but it’s actually really scary! Taylor got us through growing up and finding our place.

The lyrics to get you through it: “I’m alone, on my own, and that’s all I know. I’ll be strong, I’ll be wrong, oh but life goes on. Oh, I’m just a girl, trying to find a place in this world.” –A Place in This World

7Your first heart break. Those days when you didn’t even want to get out of bed because it didn’t just feel like your heart was broken; it felt like you were broken all over. The times when you emptied a tissue box in an hour and you physically were out of tears. Taylor’s songs on repeat helped us put the pieces back together.

The lyrics to get you through it: “Why would you wanna break a perfectly good heart? Why would you wanna take our love and tear it all apart, now? Why would you wanna make the very first scar?” –A Perfectly Good Heart

8. A major loss. Taylor didn’t just get us through losing a boy or best friend, she helped us pay tribute to someone we lost.

The lyrics to get you through it: “But if God forbid fate should step in and force us into a goodbye. If you have children someday when they point to the pictures please tell them my name.” –Long Live

VCU Contributor Account