How To Stay Healthy During The Holidays

It’s almost the holiday season! Probably one of the happiest times of the year where the family gets together, gifts are exchanged, friends come over and most importantly, delicious food is prepared. With that in mind, it is super important to maintain that summer body you worked months to achieve! 

1. 1. Hydrate

Did you know that like the world, the human body is also composed of up to 60% of water? Okay, the entire Earth has a bit more, but isn’t it crazy how we’re mostly just water!? This is why you should hydrate yourself as often as you can! Water has a ton of benefits, for example, it will make your skin glow, stay energized and lose weight. If you drink a glass or two of water before you start your meal, then you won’t be as hungry to fill yourself up! This way you will be reducing calorie intake and also making your body smile!

2. 2. Eat Only When You’re Hungry

I love the foods that my mom prepares during the holidays and the smell of it just makes me so hungry but what I learned throughout the years, is that to only eat food when you’re hungry. Overeating can lead to unwanted weight gain and it also forces your body to work harder to lose all those extra calories. The stomach expands beyond its normal size to adjust to the large amount of food, which pushes against the organs forming them to work harder. This being said, do not deprive yourself of food either. Eat what you can, when you can. Don’t force yourself to eat a large quantity all at once, maybe put it in some Tupperware to take home for another time. 

3. 3. Switch Up That Workout

During the holidays, people tend to consume more alcohol, sugar and carbs than any other month or occasion so it’s important you’re doing the proper workouts to keep you in shape! What I personally like to do is a mix of cardio and weight-lifting. Cardio, because it burns a good amount of calories and makes your heart strong! Weight-lifting is a great way to boost metabolism and maintain the weight that’s been lost. There are so many exercises that can be done at home and not in a gym if time is limited. For instance, just carrying the groceries is a form of weight-lifting or jogging in place every time a commercial interrupts movie night can be counted as cardio. Don’t procrastinate exercising because you don’t have time to go to the gym or because there isn’t one nearby! There are so many exercises that you can do from the comfort of your own home!

Holidays are a time to bond with family and friends, as well as to just relax and unwind from your busy lifestyle. It’s important to stay healthy during this time so you don’t gain any unwanted weight and you keep your body in shape, not just externally but internally as well. However, it’s easy to get wrapped up into calorie counting, workouts and other diets but try to not focus on that as much and limit yourself from exciting experiences. Just have a good time! Plus it’s nice to have a cheat day once in a while, am I right ladies?