How To Escape Within the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

There is absolutely nothing I will ever regret about going to a university in the city. Richmond has so much to offer and the busy bee I am needs the constant moves a city like this has to offer. However, there are definitely times where I like to sit back and relax a little more. No matter where you are or how big or small the city you may be in is, there is always a place to slow down a few paces, here are some of my favorite areas of Richmond that give me that temporary break.

Belle Isle/Texas Beach. A Richmond attraction that is a must see and only about a 5-minute drive from campus! The dogs, the college kids hanging out for hours, the families that take strolls and the endless amount of people biking and running the trails. This area is an amazing slow down, giving you the water and the rocks great for a little hiking or just simply laying out. Since I’m from the 757 area originally, near nothing but water and of course Virginia Beach, this place really gives me a nice friendly reminder of the home that I do miss sometimes. When spring semester rolls around, I look forward to the many day trips a few friends and I will take.

Maymont. Another popular touristy site. The Gardens of Maymont are so lovely, having waterfalls, a little farm filled with animals and the beautiful scenic hills that are great for picnics. I went one day with some friends, we took cute polaroid picture throughout the area with the various scenery it has, and even got the chance to spend some time in the barn observing the animals. It’s only a short drive from campus, even more beautiful in the spring/summer months when everything is in bloom!

South of the James Farmers Market. South of the James is only a quick 5-6 minute drive from campus, every Saturday from 9 a.m. – noon. The Market offers an assortment of fresh veggies, fruits, flowers, along with tons of vendors from local shops. In additon to the pop up shops they have a varitety of food and coffee trucks! The area is always so lively, filled with people of all ages and tons of dogs (major plus!). I recommend everyone to try this makret out wheteher you’re into this or not, it’s a fun thing to try with some friends — starting the day off bright and early! 

The Streets of Richmond: 

Strawberry St. This street is so adorable, surrounded by homes of all colors and sizes, a cute little café named after the street, and my favorite part — Scuffletown Park. This park is tucked in the middle of some local buildings and houses, with benches and tables and best of all it’s dog friendly. I had a friend take me here, and it was nice to be in the middle of a city but somehow felt so suburban with a very laid back energy.

Park St. This street has had a special place in my heart ever since moving to Richmond last year. Something about the character each house has on this street, the playground at the intersection and Kuba Kuba on the corner. This street for some reason takes me out of the city and makes me feel like I’m in the middle of suburbia, surrounded by adults and families allowing me to be excited for a cute little future.

These are just a few of my favorite places to go in Richmond when I need a little cityscape. Although a few of these places are very obviously set in the city, something about how I feel when I’m there is what gives me that calm vibe I desire and need sometimes. Feel free to take these tips if you’re ever feeling a little overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle.

All pictures taken by Aja Moore 

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!