The Guide to Every Presidential Candidate (So Far)

The 2020 Elections are quickly approaching, and many candidates have already decided to challenge Donald Trump for the next Presidency. Here is a complete list of everyone who has announced their candidacy (as of 3/11).

1. Cory Booker (D)

What you need to know about him:

Booker has been a New Jersey Senator since 2013. Booker supports many social and criminal justice reform policies, baby bonds and marijuana legalization.

2. Pete Buttigieg (D)

What you need to know about him: 

Buttigieg is mayor of small-town South Bend, Indiana. He is an Afghanistan War Veteran and an openly gay man. Buttigieg, a 37-year-old, targets millennials with his campaign.

3. Julian Castro (D)

What you need to know about him:

Castro is a former San Antonio Mayor and Housing and Urban Development Secretary. Castro strongly advocates for Pre-K education, expanding health-care accessibility and fighting climate change.

4. John Delaney (D)

What you need to know about him:

Delaney is former Maryland Congressmen. As a former health care financer, he has unique and set ideas for health-care reform.

5. Tulsi Gabbard  (D)

What you need to know about her:

Gabbard is a current senator from Hawaii. The first Hindu member of Congress, she is economically progressive and objects to American intervention overseas.

6. Kirsten Gillibrand (D)

What you need to know about her:

Gillibrand is New York Senator. She has a strong platform that women are the future of the Democratic Party.

7. Kamala Harris (D)

What you need to know about her:

Harris is a “longtime lawmaker and prosecutor.” She backs Medicare-for-all and marijuana legalization. If she is officially nominated, she will be the first African-American woman and the first Asian-American woman to be a major party nominee.

8. John Hickenlooper (D)

What you need to know about him:

Hickenlooper is Colorado’s former governor. His message is that he can work with anyone, and is one of the more moderate Democrats in this primary.

9. Jay Inslee (D)

What you need to know about him:

Inslee is the governor of Washington and his campaign is centrally focusing on climate change.

10.  Amy Klobuchar (D)

What you need to know about her:

Klobuchar is a former Minnesota senator. Klobuchar is another moderate Democrat, “notably quiet on things like Medicare-for-all, tuition-free college and $15 minimum wage.”

11. Bernie Sanders (I)

What you need to know about him:

Sanders is a senator from Vermont, likely running as a Democrat. Sanders is an early front runner following his 2016 run and progressive ideals.

12. Elizabeth Warren (D)

What you need to know about her:

Warren is a senator from Massachusetts. She was the first to announce her candidacy for the 2020 election, and her platform focuses on breaking up big banks, making corporations more accountable to workers and expanding healthcare and housing for low-class Americans.

13. Bill Weld (R)

What you need to know about him:

Weld, a former Massachusetts governor, is the first Republican to challenge Donald Trump in the primaries. He ran as a Libertarian as Gary Johnson’s Vice President candidate in 2016, but has since switched his identification back to Republican to challenge Trump in 2020.

14. Marianne Williamson (D)

What you need to know about her:

Williamson is known by many as Oprah’s spiritual advisor. She wants to offer reparations to black Americans, and “ engage voters in a more meaningful conversation about America, about our history, about how each of us fit into it, and how to create a sustainable future.”

15. Andrew Yang (D)

What you need to know about him:

Yang is a Manhattan lawyer, technologist and entrepreneur. His platform surrounds wanting to create a “universal based income.”

While these 15 have formally announced their candidacy, there are a few others who are rumored to run - including Joe Biden, Howard Schultz and more. Be sure to stay tuned to see who else may or may not be running for President in 2020!

Image credit: 1