Finding a Job: On-Campus vs. Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

So it’s time to go back to school! Whether you’re new to VCU or a veteran Ram, the first few weeks of fall semester are always a great time on both the Monroe Park and MCV campuses. Welcome Week usually features an array of free items, which is obviously exciting for college students who are living on a budget (if only there was a Welcome Week booth that gave every VCU student free textbooks right?). Alas, while the college experience at VCU is amazing it does come with a price tag — which means that after Welcome Week fun is over, a part-time or even full-time job is something most students are searching for. The thing is, looking for a job anywhere can be a challenge, even in a city with plenty of businesses like Richmond. If you’re new to the area, worked at a company in your hometown that doesn’t have a location here, or simply are new to the workforce in general, job hunting is a tiring and often a dead-end feeling process. Fear not though poor (literal and figurative) college students, Her Campus is here to help give you some of the best methods to finding a job on or around campus!

A good place to begin your job search is right here on campus. Here at VCU we have several on-campus job opportunities that are available through the Federal Work Study Program. To qualify for this program, students must require a specific amount of financial aid. See if you are applicable for work study when filling out your financial aid application; if so, check off that you qualify for work study on your financial aid application for the year. Students may be able to find jobs in the mail room of a residence hall, student health and many more on-campus places through work study. It is important to know though that qualifying for work study does not guarantee you a job. For more information check out VCU’s Federal Work Study Program site.

Maybe working on campus or using the work study program isn’t the best option for you. Fortunately there are plenty of places near campus to search for a job. With the internet being such a prevalent force in this day and age, you can start your search online. Stores like Cold Stone and Xtreme Pizza (both located on Broad Street) have online job applications, and locally owned stores usually have websites that feature contact information. Another option is to do an on-foot search. Stop in stores and restaurants around campus to ask if they’re hiring. Just remember safety first! Go with a friend if you feel uncomfortable approaching store employees to ask about jobs, and if something about a shop or the area you’re in feels off, leave immediately. For students who are willing to take the bus and/or have cars, places that are farther off campus like Shockoe Bottom and Carytown hold job options as well. Whatever method you use to search for off-campus jobs, my advice is to apply very early on in the semester, especially for jobs that are right by the campus. The reason behind this is because there is a high turnover rate of employees at the beginning and end of school semesters. Employees leave which creates lots of job opportunities, however with tons of students applying these jobs usually fill up by the end of the first month of a semester. Obviously not every store in Richmond is going to be like this, but you should try to apply for jobs early in the semester.

Another amazing resource VCU offers its students is the University Career Center, located in the University Student Commons right across from the POD Market. The Career Center can help students find jobs, internships, and work on building a strong resume. Through the Career Center each VCU student has a HireVCURams account where you can upload a resume and search and apply for jobs. Connections are also important when looking for a job. You can create a LinkedIn profile and add people you know who can help you with your search. Remember that the person you sat next to in chem lab could know the boss at a great company you’d love to work for. Check out the Career Center’s web site.

Looking for a job can be tough, but fortunately for VCU students we have a campus with tons of resources waiting to be utilized. To summarize: start quickly, utilize campus programs like work study and the career center, don’t get discouraged if you can’t find something right away and remember that you also have a job as a student, so don’t overextend yourself at work to a point where it has a negative effect on your grades.

*Photo credit www.students.vcu.edu

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!