Confectionary Exploration: The Relationship Between Candy Consumption and Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, every American consumes on average 22 pounds of candy each year. This number is astonishing, and questions remain regarding the impact of such increased levels of sugar in the average American diet.

In a relevant study, adults were placed into one of the four categories by candy consumption, frequent, moderate and infrequent. Frequent candy consumers reported eating candy on more than three and half occasions per week. Infrequent candy consumers reported less than or an average of three eating occasions per month, and moderate candy consumers reported more than three eating occasions per month but less than three and half eating occasions per week. From this data, researchers aimed to correlate the number of eating occasions to cardiovascular risk factors by analysis of weight, adiposity status, blood pressure, lipids and insulin sensitivity. Increased candy consumption was not correlated to risk of obesity, existent obesity/overweight, or other cardiovascular risks such as elevated low density lipoprotein (LDL), high density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides and insulin resistance. Possible confounding factors include health professional recommendations and dieting.

A similar study specific to minors was conducted to determine the impact of candy to childhood obesity. Researchers accepted a literary approach by analyzing an assortment of 20 systemic and cross-sectional studies. A once per week increased consumption was associated with a decrease of about 13 percent in the probability of being affected by obesity or becoming overweight.

The question still remains as to whether increased consumption of candy and confectionary has a true impact on the probability of acquiring health-related issues such as cardiovascular complications and obesity. A focus analysis aimed at assessing confounding factors such as genetic predisposition and environmental components would better assess the relationship. Until then, enjoy your left over Halloween candy, but don’t overdo it!

Photo credits: cover photo by Chelsea Schmidt Photography, 1, 2

She is black, but she is not bitter. She is stern, but she is not rigid. She is tolerant, but she is not weak-minded. She is powerful, but she is not intimidating. She is wise but she is not all-knowing. She is spiritual, but she is not divine. She is analytical, but she is not uninspired. She is female, but she cannot be muted. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!