Closet Staples That Will Always Be Trendy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The evolution of fashion always interests me. I love keeping up with new and old trends, designers that always draw the worlds attention and up-and-coming styles that are slowly creeping up to steal the spotlight. Freshly into 2018, we don’t have a current “staple” style that decades like previous decades are known for. What does make this current period unique, though, is the influx of inspiration from previous decades that somehow creates its own overall staple. With that, based on what I’m seeing, some things seem to never go out of style.

Enjoy this guide describing the different types of clothing and shoes that you should always keep in your wardrobe!

Shoes

1. Nike Air Force 1’s and Air Maxes: Let’s be real, the Nike comeback is stronger than ever! These shoes are celebrating almost 30 years and are still some of the most worn, stylish, yet still comfortable shoes ever. They can be worn with athletic ware or look just as great with a pair of jeans and a tee. These shoes range in price from around $90-200, but that price does not even compare to the fact that these shoes will always be relevant and rare with the many variations the shoe comes in.

2. Vans: Released in the late 60’s, Vans used to be known as the ultimate “skater boy” shoe. These shoes come in so many variations of styles and colors that it is hard not to pull off your own original style with them. The comfort and simplicity of this shoe is no longer just for skateboarders, and with as long as they’ve been around, I don’t think they will be going anywhere.

3. Converse: With the original release in 1917, these shoes are and most likely always will be ahead of the game. Serving as the original basketball shoe, a gym shoe with its perfect flat sole for lifting, adventure shoes with the washable canvas material and so much more. Converse, coming in both high and low tops, are the most effortless shoe that can serve so many purposes, and who doesn’t want that?

Variations of Denim

1. The simple “high-waist” jean: Simple, sleek and stylish. High-waisted jeans in any color denim will always be a win. It makes that solid V-neck you might normally pair with a simple pair of jeans look that much cleaner and cuter. Believe me.

2. The “mom” jean: Mom jeans serve a different look than just high-waist does – they’re slightly baggier, meaning super comfy! They make a simple look so adorable and are probably just as comfy if not comfier than leggings with the loose fitting denim.

3. Funky jeans: So. Fun. I love a good funky jean, whether it’s fringy, weird patterns, a fun bell bottom, patchwork – you name it. They’re another easy way to spice up your everyday look.

4. Jean jacket (oversized): The perfect light weight jacket that goes with anything! Like normal jeans, jackets also come in variations of colored denim and are the perfect go-to for any outfit. I wear my jean jacket with dresses, leggings, workout gear for that quick chilly walk to the gym or for my 90’s babies, denim on denim is always a classic.

5. Denim skirts/skorts: Yes, skorts are back! Denim skirts are such an easy way to dress up an outfit or simply spice it up instead of wearing simple denim shorts. These come in variations as well: the distressed skirt, plain denim or even buttons up and down the front! 

Tops

To me, shirts are not what I personally rely on for a cute look. Although, I feel like the simpler the shirt, the better. That way, you have space to really accessorize according to your style. With that, I always like to keep these in my closet:

1. Solid and neutral colored basic-t’s, scoop and v-necks

2. Band tees

3. Anything oversized

4. Flannels

Cozy Wear

“Ath-Leisure” will never go out of style and will always be closet essential, whether you’re wanting to be comfy on the go or going to actually workout! Cute and comfy, what’s better than that? For great looks, check out Nike, Adidas, or Champion. Fun, cozy thrift store finds can be great, too.

With these wardrobe staples, you’ll be able to personalize your own style as well as stay on top of all the trends! 

All photos by the author except the bottom left photo.

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!