The Best Hikes in Virginia

Virginia is for lovers, especially for lovers of hiking and nature! Virginia’s scenic mountains and valleys are home to the perfect site for a hike, and people come from all around the world to experience this one-of-a-kind nature excursion. Here in Virginia, you can experience everything from a snowy mountain to a rocky beach hike.

Consider celebrating Earth Day with one of these hikes this week! Hiking is a great way to exercise both your body and mind.

Here is a complete list of the best hikes you can take in the great state of Virginia:

1. Old Rag

Old Rag is the most popular hike in the Shenandoah National Parks system and is pretty close to all of us here in Richmond. This circuit hike is about nine miles and takes seven or eight hours to complete, but don’t this discourage you! The view from the top makes it all worthwhile. Many hikers recommend reaching the summit at dusk or dawn for optimal viewing pleasure.

2. Hawksbill Mountain

Hawksbill Mountain is Shenandoah National Park’s highest summit, standing tall at 4,050 feet. Gorgeous views can be seen from 360 degrees around the hiker, and you may be able to even catch a glimpse of Old Rag from the mountain. This is great for hikers looking for something shorter. It takes about one or two hours to complete.

3. The Appalachian Trail in Virginia

While the Appalachian Trail is a huge hiking trail spanning between Maine and Georgia, Southwest Virginia has some pretty great stops and sights along the way. One notable path on the Appalachian Trail is Mount Rogers in Virginia. Mount Rogers is the highest point in Virginia at 5,729 feet.

4.  Sky Meadows State Park

If you are looking for a hike nestled within the Blue Ridge Mountains here in Virginia, Sky Meadows State Park is just the place for you (and it’s my own personal favorite). This park has 22 miles worth of hiking trails and preserves Civil War era vibes.

Hiking is arguably one of the best life experiences a person can have and right here in Virginia we have so many diverse and beautiful options. Experience nature and the mountains during a hike at one of these four lovely locations listed above and you definitely won’t regret it! You may even find yourself hooked and want to cross them all off of your bucket list.

Image Credit: 1