Are Your Parents Coming to Visit? Recommend One of These Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As you know, being in college forces you to tighten your belt a little.You
 can’t go out to eat as often as you’d like, and when you do, it’s at the cheapest place you can find. Do dollar enchiladas at Little Mexico sound familiar? Well, when you have your family in town and they’re begging to take you out, do you know where you are going to suggest? To help you out, I’ve listed some of my recommendations.

Edo Squid
You can find Edo Squid on Harrison Street, right across from the Village Café. This Italian restaurant is truly a gem, but you would never know it from the entrance.  Once you walk up the narrow staircase and open the door, you find yourself in an open yet quaint room with a three-sided panoramic view of Harrison Street. When you have a set you can snack on warm bread while you wait for your meal. Once it arrives, you will not be disappointed. The ingredients taste so fresh and the portions insure a tasty snack for later. The entrees usually range anywhere from $10 to $25. So it a good choice for when you have a party of four (spell out 1 – 10 in general counting references) or less.

Black Sheep

Black Sheep is truly a unique culinary experience. It has very interesting combinations that will surprise your pallet. It’s mostly known for its gargantuan subs. It was even featured in an episode of “Man vs. Food.” The sandwich that was featured is called the U.S.S. Brooklyn and it is TASTY!! It’s a sub that has jerk chicken, peach chutney, banana ketchup as well as some other interesting ingredients. It’s a superb combination of spicy and sweet. Black Sheep’s extra large subs range from $13 to $16. It does have smaller sized subs at lower prices, but where’s the fun in that?

Buzz and Ned’s
Buzz and Ned’s is quite the BBQ joint. It can be found near the intersection of Broad and Boulevard. They have been featured on “Man vs. Food” as well. If you have your whole family visiting you, this is the perfect place to go. It has a covered patio where you can get down and dirty with the tastiest BBQ I have ever had. The good news is you can also by this BBQ in bulk, and trust me, your family going to want too. My mom asks me to bring her a pint or two every time I come home. It’s also inexpensive; a meal can cost anywhere from $6 to $15.

Can Can
This is a cute French restaurant in Carytown. It is probably the pricier of the suggestions but is an excellent place to dine with a parents or older relatives. I went there when my mother was visiting me,and we sat down for lunch at a petite two-person table, right by the window. It made for some excellent people-watching as well as some conversation starters. On the lunch menu, you can find a variety of sandwiches and crêpes. These usually range from about $11 to $15. It’s an excellent place to broaden your horizons and have a lovely lunch, international style!

Kuba Kuba
This is a small Cuban restaurant near the playground on Park Avenue. It is a great place for lunch or dinner. It’s a nice relaxing place to go, because the staff there makes you feel like a part of the family. You really get that local, family-owned vibe. When it comes to the menu, I recommend any of the sandwiches. They are quite delicious and they come with fried plantains, which is something you don’t see or taste that every day!

Bailey Foster is working on her major in creative advertising and minor in psychology at VCU. She has been an equestrian enthusiast since the age of five, and loves to travel, as well as experience new things. 
Chelsea is a Her Campus alumnae and the Cofounder and former President and Editor-In-Chief of Virginia Commonwealth University's Her Campus chapter. Chelsea has diverse professional experience thanks to her many internships in college. Her experience includes working in the research department at Viacom's MTV, assisting the CEO of a boutique jewelry brand in NYC, and working at an English tourist magazine in Japan. Beyond her professional life, Chelsea is inspired by fashion, finance, all things Harry Potter, her dream of working for a company she loves, and her travels. Chelsea turns to Sailor Moon episodes and Harry Potter soundtracks when life gets tough. Also a good amount of shopping, traveling, and making memories with loved ones will maintain her status quo.Connect!LinkedIn Instagram: @chelsskubo