This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Finals week has come and gone, and it’s now time to take a much anticipated break — now you’re ready for the best summer ever. It’s easy to say you’re going to accomplish so much over the summer, but we all know what ends up really happening. So before you make unrealistic plans, just reflect on past summers where you learned that the season isn’t always all fun and games.

1. You thought you were going to make it to a tropical destination, but realized you don’t have that much money to spend. Because think about it: a plane ticket, food, transportation and more cost way too much for your college budget. The community pool it is. 

2. You actually think you will have endless amounts of time to chill. In reality, you have to work almost every day of the week just to make some extra cash for the fall time.

3. You were so excited about warm weather and ditching heavy coats. Now, you wish it was a little colder and less scorching hot. It’s not fun wearing a full face of makeup while it’s 1,000 degrees outside.

4. Going back home meant being able to see all your old friends. You had every intention of seeing all of them, but plans fall through. Sometimes things don’t always work out and you end up never seeing them.

5. You tell yourself you’re going to get that hot new summer body, but find yourself in bed eating cookies all day. Oh well, maybe next year.

6. You thought you were going to be extra tan by the time summer was done. Unfortunately, you didn’t make it to the pool or beach enough and remained pale.

7. You thought you were going to go to so many parties… but the moves ended up being slim to none.

8. You thought your parents were going to give you a little more freedom now that you came back from college. However, it’s back to having a curfew and letting them know where you are at all times.

Photo Credit: Cover by Maelyn Platon, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!