7 Celebrities Who Should Run For President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Many Americans are of the opinion that neither Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump are adequate choices to be the next president of the United States. Yet, as it is only a few days before the election, not much can be done to alter the options that are presented to us. A person can always dream, though and envision what it would be like if one of their favorite celebrities were in the running to be POTUS.

1. Tom Hanks

America’s dad and the staple “nice guy” of Hollywood, Tom Hanks is sure to garner a lot of voter support on personality alone. Not only that, but he’s successfully played an astronaut, a soldier, a teacher, an airline pilot, a baseball coach, a detective and many other professions in his films, so he’s probably at least somewhat qualified to both appeal to a nation and run a country, right?

2. Ellen DeGeneres

How wonderful would it be to have an openly gay female comedian become the next president? Answer: So incredibly wonderful! Aside from being hilarious, bubbly, kind and (De)generous as we’ve all seen on her talk show, Ellen isn’t afraid of asking the hard questions. Recently, she pressed Miley Cyrus to dish about her relationship status with Liam Hemsworth, essentially proving that she can get to the bottom of any controversy.’

3. Lin-Manuel Miranda

Perhaps the most influential embodiment of a “jack of all trades,” Lin-Manuel Miranda has dabbled in everything from writing for the New York Times, composing jingles for political campaigns and, of course, writing and acting in his acclaimed musical, Hamilton, among a wide range of other successes. If elected, he would be the first man of Puerto Rican descent to hold office and it’s no doubt his speeches would be finely crafted works of musical art.

4. Morgan Freeman

The man played God for God’s sake! He’s also narrated every documentary under the sun, so it’s safe to say that he most likely knows a thing or two about politics. Plus, how fantastic would it be to hear his magnificent voice deliver the State of the Union Address?

5. Emma Watson

Although she’s not technically a United States citizen, somewhere some rules need to be bent to allow such an inspirational and poignant woman to become the next president. Emma is all about equality and a powerhouse feminist, founding HeForShe, an organization that encourages men and boys to take action against female inequality. Not only that, but she’s a graduate of Brown University AND Hermione Granger, so really there’s no one better qualified for the position.

6. Kevin Spacey

Kevin Spacey has already been portraying President Francis Underwood in House of Cards for several years, so it’s easy to see him in the role of POTUS. Although, considering that he seems like a genuinely kind person, his stint in the White House would certainly be far less controversial than his character’s.

7. Oprah Winfrey

You get equal rights! And you get equal rights! And you get equal rights! It’s no doubt that Forbes’ 2012 and 2013 Most Influential Person would be a force to be reckoned with in the White House. She has been awarded honorary doctorates from Duke and Harvard, awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and is widely regarded as the greatest black philanthropist in American history. Oprah’s media presence is unparalleled and it would be an honor for her to grace the presidency.

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!