6 Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room For the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

‘Tis the season to get excited and channel your inner interior designer to decorate your dorm room for the most wonderful time of the year – the holidays! Here are six ideas to inspire your holiday decorating adventure.

1. Lights! 

What are the holidays without twinkling lights in every corner? Gather all the string lights you please and create a sparkling wonderland in your dorm room. Go crazy and make cool shapes like a Christmas tree. Lights are not just exclusive to the holidays! Leave them up in your room to enhance your already fabulous room for the rest of the year.  

2. Decorate Your Door

The world is your oyster with this one, ladies! Your door is a blank canvas just waiting to be jazzed up for the holidays. You can wrap it in wrapping paper, get super crafty and create a winter wonderland scene or create a giant Santa Clause popping from the corner; the possibilities are endless and so is the fun. 

3. DIY Snowflakes

All you need for this festive craft are popsicle sticks, an adhesive (like this mini pink hot glue gun, perfect for dorm crafts) and string! Create snowflake shapes with the popsicle sticks and use the glue to keep them together. Cut the string to whatever lengths you want and hang your snowflakes on the wall! For added (though messy) fun, paint your snowflakes in sparkly winter hues or whatever colors match your room! 

4. Holiday Bedding

If you’re up to changing those sheets that have probably been on your bed since the beginning of the semester, then get some holiday-themed bedding! What better way to embrace the holidays then to sleep on holiday spirit?

5. Mistletoe 

This is one kills two birds with one stone — a holiday decoration that doubles as an excuse to kiss that cute boy you have been talking to! Sounds pretty great to me. Hang it at the entrance of your door and every time you and someone else walks in, give them a kiss. Even if it’s just a peck on the cheek, it’s a super fun way to get into the holiday spirit!

6. Stockings 

Stockings are a holiday classic. Hang some in your room so you and your roomie can give each other cute gifts. You could even get your whole floor on board and have a Secret Santa (stocking style)!

Happy decorating collegiettes! 

Ivy Kenton is a freshman student at Virginia Commonwealth University living in the enchanting city of Richmond, Virginia. Originally from Great Falls in Northern Virginia, she loves living in such a diverse city environment because its so different from the white picket fences she is used to. She is currently undecided but wants to pursue a degree in Mass Communications with a minor in music. She loves to sing, go on long nature walks, shop, her kitten and being around her amazing friends. After college her dream is to live in a big city with a job in public relations and to have singing as a hobby on the side. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!