6 Things Afro Latinx Know to Be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Being Latinx in the United States is complicated. Being black in the United States is complicated. Imagine being both. Being an Afro Latinx is an experience that is all its own. My mother is a proud Panamanian woman, so Latin culture has played as huge a role in my life as black culture. During the holidays, the arroz con pollo is right next to the Christmas ham. While each situation is unique, there are a few things that most Afro Latinxs can relate to. In honor of Latinx Heritage Month, here are six things that most Afro Latinxs know to be true:

1. You’ve probably had an identity crises, or 10

“Am I black?” “Am I Latinx?” “Am I sort of weird hybrid that can call nowhere home?” The topic of your racial and ethnic identity was probably a huge stressor growing up. Not “black enough” for the black kids or “Latin enough” for the Latinxs. Struggling to have your voice heard in political conversations for both communities can also be quite the pickle. But eventually you acknowledge that both parts of your identity are what makes you exactly you. 

2. People are always shocked to learn you’re Latinx

It always is a pleasant surprise to someone when they learn of your ethnicity because you lack the Mestizo features associated with most Latinx folks. The misconception that Latinx is a race is a common one to both Latinx and non Latinx alike. Latinx is an ethnicity. In order to be Latinx, you have to be is from or have descendants from a Latin American country. You can be any race and Latinx. Yes, including black.

3. People will speak Spanish in front of you as if you can’t understand

Some people act as if melanin will all of a sudden impact your ability to learn other languages. Then you have to bust out your Spanish check those fools.

4. Sometimes you feel as though you’re not Latinx enough

Not fitting into the traditional Latinx mold means that you might have insecurities in regards to your sense of belonging in your own culture. This may not be the case with every Afro-Latinx, but there are many who feel as though they’re caught in the middle. But, you don’t have to prove your heritage to anyone. Do ya’ thang.

5. Other people will tell you that you’re not Latinx enough

“You don’t look latino.” Racism runs rampant throughout Latin communities. Not to mention the small minded non-Latinx individuals who think that all Latinxs run around with maracas and sombreros. Don’t let the ignorance get to you. Latinx is a state of being and there’s no quota that you have to meet in order to be “Latinx enough”. 

6. You wouldn’t give it up for the world

Platanos and collard greens. Bachata and the dougie. You are the perfect intersection between two awesome cultures. Embrace it, love it and have a happy Latinx Heritage Month!

*Latinx is the gender-neutral term used instead of Latino or Latina in order to be more inclusive to others who don’t fit the gender binary. For more information on the term “Latinx” read this Her Campus at VCU article explaining the term

Photo credits: Cover image1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!