5 Ways to Spend Reading Days at VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Students are looking forward to a well-deserved four-day weekend with reading days coming up on Oct. 16 and 17! While some are planning on going home for the break, others are about to experience a much less lively campus. If you’re one of the select few planning on staying at school for break, fear not! There are plenty of meaningful ways to spend a four-day weekend on campus!

1. Explore other Richmond districts

Each of Richmond’s diverse districts has so much to offer! Carytown, one of the top shopping districts in the South, is home to cozy cafés, restaurants and a variety of unique stores, ranging from authentic vintage to ultra-trendy — you’re guaranteed to find something one-of-a-kind here. Or, if you’re looking for something more nature-y, stroll down to Belle Isle on the James River for a refreshing day of hiking, swimming or rock climbing.

2. Dine at local eateries

Try a gigantic sub at The Black Sheep, creamy milkshakes at Village Café, or, if you’re craving late-night sweets, enjoy the signature Red Eye (a red velvet cookie tossed in espresso) at Red Eye Cookie Co

3. Visit museums

Get cultured by the eclectic displays at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Or, if you’re more into the sciences, check out innovative, hands-on exhibits at the Science Museum of Virginia.

4. Clean

Remember that ever-growing pile of clothes and miscellaneous items stuffed in the corner of your room that you pass by every day? Take this opportunity to sort through it once and for all and regain control over your space!

5. Study

The official purpose of reading days is to study, so why not get some work done? Play catch up on pending work or get ahead on future assignments and enjoy the accompanying peace-of-mind in the days following your fun and fulfilling four-day weekend!

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!