5 Ways Celebrate Valentine’s Day in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re in a long-distance relationship, but you feel unmotivated to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your partner, keep reading for some ways you can make the most out of celebrating the holiday apart. 

Virtual Date Night

When you’re in a long-distance relationship (LDR), FaceTime is probably a part of your everyday routine. Making the most out of Valentine’s Day virtually can entail eating dinner together and dressing up nice. It could also mean just having a night of romance and conversation. Learning to get to know your partner and your love languages can be used as a good bonding activity. If your partner is only available during the day, suggesting a nice daytime picnic is a good way to start your days. It can be difficult maintaining an LDR relationship for so many reasons. But taking the time to dress nice and be alone with your partner through FaceTime and eating together is a great way to have that experience in a special setting. 

Making a Playlist

What better way to show your love and affection than by making a playlist. Making the playlist not only shows what songs remind you of your partner, but it allows you to be connected to them from a distance. It doesn’t have to be centered around love songs, but can be songs that your partner enjoys listening to. This can also be a mutual activity and a way to bond and learn about your partner and what they like when it comes to music. They can do the same thing, and you can do an exchange that would shed some light on the fact that you’re unable to be together but you can still feel close to them from your different locations. 

Netflix or Hulu Watch Party

One advantage of being a part of this generation is your ability to utilize technology when it comes to long-distance relationships. Using the Netflix and Hulu watch party features, which recently became available, is a way to watch a movie live with your partner and feel like you’re with them in the moment. This way of streaming can be useful because you don’t have to worry about pressing play at the same moment.   

Sending Gifts and Meals

The best way to show your love, depending on your partner’s love language, can be through gifts and food. With Amazon and its fast delivery, and websites like https://www.1800flowers.com and their one-day delivery service, there are so many ways to send different ways of showing love and appreciation to your loved one. Another option could be an edible arrangement such as chocolate-covered strawberries. Many places in RVA and NOVA deliver to the recipient’s doorstep and allow you to include a note/card. A final way to show your affection is by writing a personal letter to your partner. I know that sounds redundant, but it’s very romantic, and people forgot that pen to paper carries a weight that no text can fill. 

Planning Your Next Visit

Even though the day of Valentine’s Day is used internationally to celebrate the day of love, there is also nothing wrong with postponing your celebration to a later date. Using the time leading up to when you guys see each other again can be used for planning a special way to make up for the holiday and the time lost. It can even be more special than celebrating virtually because you put time and effort into it, and you’ll be able to privately celebrate without the rest of the world. 

Safia Abdulahi is a VCU honors student studying Political Science with a Civil Rights Concentration.
VCU Contributor Account