This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Get your darkest lipsticks out, ‘tis the season to bring out the bold. Dark lipsticks can add a statement to a simple outfit or they can tie an outfit together. The fall and winter months are a great time to bring these colors out. There’s just something about a crisp, cool day and knowing that your vampy lips are lined on perfectly. There’s no humidity to feather them or any sweat dripping to make you look like a total weirdo. It’s truly one of the best things about wearing makeup during this colder time of the year.

Photo by Chelsea Schmidt

When wearing dark lipsticks, it’s very important to make sure that your eyes aren’t clashing with your lips. You never want to over-do your makeup. It’s easy to feel intimidated by dark lipsticks, but not anymore– we’ve got you covered! Here are four easy ways to wear your favorite dark lipsticks this season!

1. Dark lips with a simple eye

Layer on any favorite mascara on your lashes a couple of times to create a simple, yet full eye look. Dark lipstick can be the statement to your face, so if you’re going somewhere and want to look fresh but still have that pop, we recommend a light eye and bold lip. The look below is a combination of MAC Lip Pencil in Chestnut to line the lips and NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. To make the lips really pop add red Cruella color in the middle of brown lips for a “just bitten” and fuller look. Want to copy the look even further? She’s also wearing Diorshow mascara in black. 

Photo by Jasmine Medrano-Guevara

2. Dark lips with bold eyeliner

A bold cat-eye will work with any lipstick color on Earth. It is a classic eye look that is very versatile. A cat-eye and bold lip will make you look like you worked on your makeup for hours even though it only took ten minutes. Want to get this look? Try wearing Sephora Collection Long Lasting Eyeliner High Precision Brush in Black and Maybelline Volum/Express Colossal Waterproof Mascara. And for the lips? Try Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Plum Scene. 

Photo by Chelsea Schmidt

3. Dark lips with a brown smokey eye

Dark lips with a brown smokey eye is a total bombshell look. You get that sweet, smokey-sultry look that’ll have people melting in your eyes. The bold lip brings the whole look together to give you that vampy, prime Fall look. To copy this look try bareMinerals Brown Eyecolor Eyeshadows in Java and Wearable Brown Medium. The lip look is a combination of MAC Lip Pencil in Chestnut to line the lips and NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella.

Photo by Jasmine Medrano-Guevara

4. Dark lips with a charcoal-grey eye

Another great color combination for the Fall is dark lips with a charcoal-grey eye. It’s similar to the brown smokey eye, but with more dimensions. Silver, dark grey and black are key components of the look. It’s also a bit more edgy than the sweet and sultry smokey eye. The eyeshadow look includes Verve, Pistol and Blackout from the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. On the lips? Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Plum Scene. 

Photo by Chelsea Schmidt  

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!