3 Shows and Films Based On Books You Must Add to Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Need new books to read? Or a new film/show to watch? I have the perfect list for you that you will be able to use interchangeably. Growing up, I always have had an extreme interest in reading. I am not a quick reader however, so I do have to have some premeditated interest into whatever book I decide to pick up and commit some time too. Getting older, having class novels and readings to do, it distracted me from reads that I use to read for fun! I’ve decided this year not to let that happen. If you’re not much of a reader, this list might still appeal to you. I have decided to curate a book list based off of movies or television shows that I have decided are a must watch! Therefore, making these books some must reads. And if you are an avid reader, already checking these off of your list – now you can have something new to watch!

Beautiful Boy. “Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction,” is a memoir written by David Sheff. The memoir and film adaptation follows writer David Sheff and his son, Nicolas Sheff, whom have an incredibly close relationship. It tells the story of Nicolas who is a teenager who seems to have it all together by being an involved student but is battling a life threatening addiction to meth. This movie tugged at my heartstrings, hitting home as I have witnessed first hand friends as well as famous inspirations go through and lose their lives to drug abuse and addiction. Though at times hard to watch without tears forming, it was an impactful film with a reminder of the importance of fighting this issue. The movie includes well known actor Steve Carell as David Sheff and rising star heartthrob Timothée Chalamet, as Nicolas. For awhile this film was hard to find as it originally released in select theaters but now, it is now able to be streamed if you have Amazon Prime! I may or may not have watched it ten times.

Big Little Lies. Reese Witherspoon, Zoë Kravitz, Shailene Woodley and Nicole Kidman. That is all you need to know! Okay not all you need to know, but come on what an amazing cast. This show was created to be a short mini series but due to popularity it is going to be revived with a second season. Season one only had seven episodes, so how can you not easily binge watch? The book and show follows a group of women in a rich area of California that have many secrets bigger than themselves. Big Little Lies highlights serious issues such as domestic abuse and mixes elements of humor and mystery. A definite must watch and read that will easily keep you on your toes. If you have Amazon Prime, it is able to be streamed with an HBO account. If you don’t have an HBO just snag that free seven day trial and you’ll have no choice but to binge.

Crazy Rich Asians. Crazy Rich Asians was a box office phenomenon once hitting theaters and rightfully so. It put Asians at the forefront, they are getting recognition that is well deserved. The film is based off a three-part book series that again, Amazon will sell to you with some great deals. I have yet to finish all of them but cannot wait to complete them all. Not to mention, how great would it be if these books had movie sequels?

(Pictured: Big Little Lies characters)

It is a rarity that the films and TV series match up to the greatness that the books have created. Somehow, that has been done with these three novels. Other recent phenomenons that I cannot yet vouch is the book that inspired ‘Birdbox’ as well as the novel that inspired the new controversial Netflix mini series ‘You.’ Stay tuned for a follow up on reviews on if these match the hype of the visuals.

Photo 1

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!