15 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Prior to starting your freshman year of college, you don’t know what to expect. College movies look like fun, but you know that’s not really what it’s like. Here’s some things to know before starting your freshman year, coming from someone finishing up her first year: 

1. You aren’t going to like every class you take.

It takes a long time to figure out what kind of class best suits your learning style– large lecture classes or small, intimate classes. Everyone has to take Gen Eds, so make the best of them and then you’re free to take as many fun, interesting classes as you can. 

2. You and your roommate probably aren’t going to be best friends.

You both talked about all the adventures and late-night talks you would have in the fall, but then you both find your own niche in your school and might only exchange a “good morning” before you both head to class. Learning how to cohabitate peacefully is the most important part of having a roommate, not being BFF’s.

3. Every professor isn’t going to love you–or even know your name or that you exist.

This is a huge change from high school, where every teacher knew your name. It’s completely up to you to establish a relationship with these professors, but it’s okay not to. 

4. “Me time” is absolutely necessary to your well-being and mental health.

Being surrounded by people 24/7 is exhausting. Find a place that works for you, be it a coffee shop or the library, and hang out by yourself for a few hours. It’s refreshing and will help keep you sane.

5. The Freshman Fifteen is 10000% real.

Unlimited pizza and fries with no adult supervision may sound like the best thing to ever happen to you, but be careful. Mix in some leafy greens and fresh veggies and trips to the gym to stay healthy. But everyone is going to gain a little weight in college, so don’t panic if your summer shorts are a little tighter than they were before move-in.

6. It’s okay to not have everything figured out.

It’s totally okay to change your major five times and want to be a doctor one day and a journalist the next. It’s okay to have absolutely no idea what you’re doing. Take a huge variety of classes and keep your mind open. 

7. Sometimes, you’re just going to want to call your mom and cry–that doesn’t make you weak.

College is hard and stressful and a plethora of other things. Sometimes you need to talk to your mom and have a good cry to feel better and refreshed about your choices.

8. It’s very easy to feel alone and overwhelmed in a big school.

It’s ironic but very true. If you chose a big school, it’s so easy to feel forgotten and alone because of the sheer number of people you’re surrounded by. Combat this by making your school smaller by joing clubs and putting yourself out there.

9. DO NOT think that you can handle an 8 a.m. or a 9 a.m. because you woke up at 6 every day in high school. 

Unless you’re the epitome of a morning person, opt for a class that starts a little later in the day.

10. Sometimes, sleep is more important than that theme party everyone is going to.

Your sleep schedule gets messed up beyond belief in your first semester of freshman year. Don’t ignore your body’s physiological need for sleep–some Friday nights, you need to skip the toga party and catch up on some much needed sleep.

11. Real life is very expensive–Chipotle every night might sound great, but be sure to use the pre-paid meal plan, too.

Campus food can be kind of gross, but at least it’s paid for. Save that extra $7 for a textbook or some cute dorm decor. 

12.  Being homesick doesn’t mean you chose the wrong school.

This is a common misconception. Being homesick doesn’t mean you hate your school, it means you miss the familiarity of where you’ve grown up your entire life and long for the comfort of your own bed and family. It’s perfectly natural to feel that way.

13. There’s more to college than going out and getting drunk every single weekend.

Sure, that might be fun, but it’s not everything. College is about exploring your options and growing as a person, not getting drunk in a frat house every night.

14. It’s completely up to you to go to class and do your work.

There’s no one forcing you to go to class or do your homework like in high school. There’s going to be some days you’re just going to want to stay in bed and not go to your 9 a.m., but remember that a college class costs REAL money and it’s up to you to get your money’s worth. 

15. You aren’t going to meet your best friends right away.  

Your first friends aren’t going to be your bridesmaids, probably. Get out there and meet some people who you really get along with and have a ton in common with–that’s the great thing about college. 

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!