alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

10 Struggles of Being an Independent Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Being a fiercely independent girl sometimes makes you feel like you’re on top of the world — you’re managing classes, a part-time job and a social life all on your own! You’re chugging coffee like it’s water and getting things done without relying on others. Sometimes when that sense of accomplishment fades, you’re hit with the struggles that come with being an independent woman:

1. You never accept help. You like things your way, so it’s easier to do them yourself than to accept help. This sometimes leads to long, exhausting nights of cramming when in reality, asking for help would have saved a lot of time.

2. You don’t have tons of friends. You like to be alone, so sometimes making friends isn’t on the top of the to-do list. You have your small group of long-time, reliable friends, but your circle doesn’t expand very often.

3. You’re extremely unaffectionate. Your personal space is your personal space, and you don’t like it being invaded. Whether it’s just a friend hugging you, your sister laying her head on your shoulder or your SO holding your hand — affection is not your thing.

4. Relationships are hard. You’ve convinced yourself that you don’t “need” anyone, so letting someone in is always a challenge. 

5. You’re usually the DD. You like to look out for yourself, so you usually volunteer to be the DD so you can do so.

6. You’re extremely frugal. As an independent woman, you’re financially responsible. That leads to being extremely frugal, and sometimes saying “no” to going out or buying things you want.

7. Group work is not your thing. When your grade relies on other people it drives your anxiety through the roof. You’d prefer to do all your assignments on your own.

8. People often call you mean/cold/a b*tch. Being independent can rub people the wrong way. You’ve heard “I thought you were a b*tch when I first met you, but you’re actually really nice!” one too many times.

9. You’re a horrible texter. Since you’re always on the go, sometimes texting back and checking your phone falls by the wayside.

10. You’re brutally honest. Standing up for what you believe in is second nature. Your bluntness can sometimes scare people off.

Embrace who you are — an independent woman, and you don’t owe anyone an explanation for that.

photo credits: cover

VCU Contributor Account