In My Opinion, These Ariana Grande Songs Deserve More Recognition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

In light of Ariana Grande’s new album, thank u, next (on which EVERY SINGLE SONG is so bomb, if you haven’t checked it out already you must!) being released February 8th, I felt inspired to bring some of Ari’s previous hits back into the limelight. Here’s my top ten  ranking of the best Ariana Grande’s songs ever released.

1. The Way ft. Mac Miller This is one of Ari’s first songs and arguably the one that threw Ari into the spotlight. The high note whistles are often compared to those of Mariah Carey and amaze me every time.

2. Best Mistake ft. Big Sean Released on Ari’s second studio album, My Everything, “Best Mistake” deserves more recognition. It’s one of my favorites because the lyrics are very relatable. Whether or not it is a person or an experience, some of the best things in life can come from a mistake.

3. God is a woman This is truly a groundbreaking song. With its stunning MV with Ari as God and empowering lyrics, this song took a huge step towards female empowerment, which is more important than ever today.

4. Sometimes This song is from Ari’s third album, Dangerous Woman, and is seriously underrated. It is acoustic, unlike most other Ari songs, and has such an amazing calming effect. It’s the kind of song you want to listen to while curled up in a cozy sweater with a cup of tea on a rainy afternoon.

5. thank u, next Turning your experiences with all your ex’s into thankfulness and life lessons? Only Ari can pull off such a song. Although some may think this song is overrated, it deserves to be in the top ten because of how creative it is.  

6. Let Me Love You ft. Lil Wayne Not to be confused with “Let Me Love You” by DJ Snake and Justin Bieber, this song is a more sensual one by Ari. The melody is so catchy it’s addicting, and I can’t resist putting this song on this list!

7. 7 rings With the tune of “My Favorite Things” from the Sound of Music, “7 Rings” is a song I find myself naturally liking. Of course, Ari made this song cute, funny, and unique by singing about her retail therapy addiction.

8. Santa Tell Me Believe it or not, this is one of my favorite Christmas tunes and one I play almost every December since it’s been released. It never fails to put me in the holiday mood and makes me feel like a little girl again.

9. breathin Once again, Ari has combined amazing music with inspiring lyrics, reminding us in our fast-paced world to breathe whenever we feel overwhelmed.

10. One Last Time From the album, My Everything, this song was already a huge hit when it was released back in 2015. It makes sense why, because the vocals in this song cannot be paralleled, and this song deserves to be back in the spotlight.

Eryn Lin

Vanderbilt '21

Economics major, Business and Chinese Culture & Language minor "People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."