This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Before April ends remember to observe sexual assault awareness month (SAAM). SAAM is campaign to spread awareness about sexual assaults and to educate individuals and the community so that they can prevent sexual violence. It is important that people are educated about sexual assault for many reasons. It’s helps the community understand what can happen when they are not aware of the dangers of sexual assault. It always important to take accusations of sexual assault seriously no matter whether it is a woman or man who experienced the assault. Every 98 seconds someone in the US is sexually assaulted according to the Huffpost. To help prevent the sexual violence experienced by more than 570 people every day, here are four actions you can take to prevent yourself and others from being sexual assaulted.

purple ribbon domestic violence awareness month
Photo by Kat Jayne from Pexels

Educate yourself and others.

Educating yourself and others goes a long way toward preventing sexual violence against others or yourself. Know what is inappropriate and appropriate. What is okay with you might not be okay with someone else—not everyone will be okay with certain things. Educate yourself on rape culture. You could be a part of a culture and not realize it, specifically because you will not educate yourself. For example, did you know there are people out there that believe that when a woman says no, she is teasing or being coy and actually means yes.

Respect others and yourself.

It’s important to respect each other, by respecting their space and body. No one is obligated to have sex with someone with whom they do not want to be involved sexually. Remember no means no. Respect other people’s words and actions especially when it comes to consensual sex. It is never acceptable to pressure someone into wanting to have sex with you. Not only is it important to respect others, but also respect yourself. Think about your character and how you would want people to see you. Remember it starts with you; you are in control of the outcomes in situations that present themselves.

Monitor others and your own sexual intentions.

To avoid sexual violence, one must avoid supporting or encouraging agrressive sexuality or sexual violence towards anyone. If you see someone in need of help, speak up. Get involved in a positive way by contacting the authorities if needed. Never turn a sideways eye when you see someone is being taken sexual advantage of and never be part of taking advantage of someone sexually. Sexual assault is a serious crime with serious consequences. Think about your future and the victim’s future; be the needed change in the world.

Speak out against sexual violence.

Be a voice against sexually violence. It only takes one voice to make a change—you can be that change. Never think that your voice does not matter. Women and men may not report sexual violence experience because they feel no one would believe them. You never know who has shared the same experiences as you; reporting information about abuse can help protect so many from that abuser. Many resources are out there that can help you get your voice heard against sexual violence such as the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). RAINN is an anti-sexual violence organization and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the world. If you or know someone who needs their voice heard call 800-656-HOPE (4673). Remember your voice needs to be heard.

woman lying on white bed
Oleg Ivanov/Unsplash
Reflect before the end of April, sexual assault awareness month, on how it is important it is to get educated about sexual assault. You can start by protecting yourself or members in your community by seeing the urgency of bringing an end to sexual violence. Always know it is a serious issue that we face in the world today. Sexual violence should not be taken lightly or looked upon as not a serious matter. No one should experience sexual violence in their lifetime. It is a horrendous act that an abuser can do to their victim and excruciating thing to deal with as a victim. Let us make the world a better place for the children, women, and men in this world by preventing sexual abuse. If you want to observe SAAM, you can begin to get involved by building a safe space with National Sexual Violence Resources

Bonny is a transfer student from Georgia Military College, having obtained her associates degree in communication science in Summer 2020. She then transferred to Valdosta State in Fall 2020. She is now a mass media major in her junior year, looking to experience media like she never dreamed of! Bonny's hope that someday her work reaches you and many more.